Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Naramata , British Columbia
What the heck?! Banana wraps are OVER the exterior skins?

Our 1974 Overlander project is well underway with lots of hurdles to jump over. Here is the latest - the banana wraps lap over/on top of the exterior skins! I figure that it must have been the Friday of a long weekend way back in 1974 when the design team floated this past the big guys in the boardroom. Obviously, water easily migrates down the outside of the trailer and finds its way into the belly of the trailer through this backwards overlap.
So, what to do? Remove all the lower trim and Sikaflex the offending seam (not fun!)? Seal the top edge of the trim (easier)? I'd love to hear how others have dealt with this flaw...or perhaps it's really not such a big deal. Thoughts, opinions, advice and experience are welcome! Thanks, All!
Lonnajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Run s bead of par-bond along top edge of rub rail, very simple, caution doo not use goof off to clean excess par-bond, goof off will remove clear coat older AS. I think new dif. type of coating as some have posted goof off doesn't bother newer AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Banana wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnajp View Post
Our 1974 Overlander project is well underway with lots of hurdles to jump over. Here is the latest - the banana wraps lap over/on top of the exterior skins! I figure that it must have been the Friday of a long weekend way back in 1974 when the design team floated this past the big guys in the boardroom. Obviously, water easily migrates down the outside of the trailer and finds its way into the belly of the trailer through this backwards overlap.
So, what to do? Remove all the lower trim and Sikaflex the offending seam (not fun!)? Seal the top edge of the trim (easier)? I'd love to hear how others have dealt with this flaw...or perhaps it's really not such a big deal. Thoughts, opinions, advice and experience are welcome! Thanks, All!
The wraps are not affecting any water intrusion issue that may leak thru the seam. It does not touch any sub floor area so is not a real issue. The top of the beltline trim can be sealed above this joint between the side panels and the banana wraps. The belly pan will shed any water that may enter from that overlap so is not needed to be sealed in any manner. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Naramata , British Columbia
Excellent! We shall seal the beltline trim. Nice to have a solution that doesnt require major surgery! Thanks for the help.
Lonnajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Thumbs up Sealing banana wraps

I used seam sealer from Eastwood.com . It comes in quart can or caulking tube. Made for auto repair and is the same material the big four when they build cars. Caulking will work best for sealing the BW's. Just cut the tip to give a small bead, that's all you need. Put the caulking on before you rivet the wraps, then after you rivet them on if you get any overflow, paint thinner will clean it right off. Used it on the belly metal also at the joints. Good luck!
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Banana wraps are probably the last thing to go on after assembling the skins on the frame, and so assembly likely requires this order. A lot more water gets under the belly skin from running in the rain than will ever get inside from the wrap seam. The belt line is usually well sealed from the top, and if it isn't there will be a lot of debris and dirt collect under the belt-line trim., which in itself will contribute to corrosion.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
If all of you are saying the Banana wrap is mounted over the exterior skin then the trim is installed over it on all your trailers then that pretty much says it is .

On my '69 Trade Wind the Banana wrap was damaged at some point and was messed with .
I found that the trim was screwed on and loose and the banana wrap was over the skin . It took on tons of water . When I removed the trim and banana wrap the whole cornor of the floor fell out in flakes .

After the floor was replaced and the banana wrap repaired I installed it inside the skin and riveted the trim on , no way it will take on water again .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	421793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3653.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	421794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3654.jpg