Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Self Drilling/Tapping Screws that will not wring off

I am trying to cover some belly areas on each side of the steps. I want to put self tapping screws in those areas for easy access in the future. The problem is that even with a pilot hole the frame material is harder than my 18-8 stainless steel sheet metal screws and they usually wring off. I have thought about self drilling screws but I might have the same issues with them. I would also drill a pilot hole for them. I am about to just get a 10-24 tap and thread the metal and just put in a machine screw. I am all about maintainability and I hate having to drill rivets to get back into an area.

I know some folks think that the only way to fasten the belly skins is with rivets. I want a reusable fasterner that will allow me to attach to the frame as well as the sheet metal to sheet metal areas. I may end up tapping the frame and outrigger areas. Many of the existing rivets have worn/corroded through the sheet aluminum. On the rear belly skins I used 1/4"-20 hex head stainless screws to hold on the belly pan. It would be nice to have a self drilling screw that can be installed in mild steel frame members and in sheet metal.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Perry, drill a larger pilot hole.You can drill larger than you'd think in metal, shouldn't strip or wring off. Test one first.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I like the tap idea.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I drill and tap. Use SS machine screws. I often tap for so called self tapping screws and I drill for self drilling screws. I hate breaking screws off in the exact best location for whatever I am installing which is where the first hole goes. The Airstream steel seems pretty hard and coarse. Maybe that is why it rusts so badly.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote