Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
rembert , South Carolina
Rear end Woes!

We have been temporarily patching the rear end for 2 yrs to no avail. Our parked 1970 international has been our mountain home, but has taken in a few other residents... Now we are going reclaim our spot in the heat of summer when the rodents are vacationing elsewhere! The belly pan runs width and is corrugated along its edges. We want to replace the last 2 sections as they have the most rot . The banana wrap on rear curb side has been smashed, is there any way to reshape it? what about replacing it with the fiberglass bananas? The rear end is rotted thru up to the trunk, is this piece a continuance of the belly pan? And I think we will need a new rear cross member. While we are under there we will be using the POR15 to treat the frame... Another loaded question...As I said the rear banana wrap is smashed as well as what appears to be the belly that butts up to it, is this right? I am trying to get my ducks in a row so I can be fully prepared (Murphys law?)Wish us luck and allow your wisdom to guide us through!
cnsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hi cnsilver... I was just down your way this morning in Camden.

Have you got pictures we can work from? I am not exactly sure how the 1970 models are laid out. You can roll some pretty substantial dents out of the banana wraps using a heavy steel ball (shot putt) work them out with a steel roller or a body hammer and a shot bag. The belly pan is normally continous from the front to the front edge of the rear bumper storage compartment, then a second piece forms the bottom of the bumper storage compartment. I cut mine right at the last crossmember in front of the tanks area so I can lap a new piece back in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
rembert , South Carolina
Thanks Wahoo!! It's hotter than Hades here in Camden! I don't have any pics but pending no other disasters come along I will get some in 2 weeks and show you what I am talking about. I saw how some had rolled the banana wraps out, guessing they must be taken off. Maybe a bowling ball? Its so banged up I don't see how there won't be breaches w/the belly! Any suggestions on where to get parts ?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsilver View Post
Thanks Wahoo!! It's hotter than Hades here in Camden! I don't have any pics but pending no other disasters come along I will get some in 2 weeks and show you what I am talking about. I saw how some had rolled the banana wraps out, guessing they must be taken off. Maybe a bowling ball? Its so banged up I don't see how there won't be breaches w/the belly! Any suggestions on where to get parts ?
I get most of my parts from Out of Doors Mart in Colfax, NC. They are vintage friendly and will ship parts. To do a floor/frame repair it will be a good idea to take the banana wraps in the area off, along with the belly pan. You have to start by taking the blue insert out of the lower rail, then drill the rivets out holding that section of rail in, now you can get to the rivets that hold the banana wraps in place.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The belly pan of my '73 is made in several sections. There is a long continuous section that extends from near the front, behind the spare tire area, all the way to the rear-most cross member. It goes from main fram rail to main frame rail. From the main frame rail out to either the banana wraps, or, wrapping over the outriggers and meeting the body skin, there are smaller sections. It sounds like it is one of these sections that is damaged. It is easy enough to drill out the rivets holding the section on, use it for a pattern to cut a replacement, and then rivet the replacement on.

The banana wraps form the four corners of the trailer. If you have one that is really mangled, your only option may be to find a replacement. I am not sure how compatible the new plastic ones are with a 70's vintage trailer. You might look in the classifieds, as there are usually some trailers being parted out.

I am currently in the process of replacing my belly pan. I have created new panels to replace all of the original ones, and the only thing that is being reused is the banana wraps. Some of these were pretty dented up, but I got them mostly straightened out by filling a bag with sand and using it as my "anvil," and then hammering out the dents with a rubber mallet. You will need to remove the banana wrap to straighten any dents, but it is only a matter of a few pop rivets to be drilled out. See the attached before and after shots.

When you dig into the rear end of your trailer, be prepared for some gut-wrenching deterioration. The insulation under the floor will be a haven for all kinds of critters, the rear cross member will likely be rusted away, and the floor in the rear area will likely be rotten.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banana montage.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	162407  
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
rembert , South Carolina
Great Pics! Love the sand bag idea, will be trying this as well, thanks!!