Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Frame Repair

O.K So I have it in my mind that I am going to need to either repair the frame of my new-to-me. 68 overlander. I know I am jumping the gun because I have not gotten it home yet...I am just preparing myslef for the worst so humor me. From most of the pictures that I have seen, I have come by that type of steel. (shape) If I have to replace the out riggers...(I think that is what they are called) and the middle joining pieces...what would I ask for when I go to the metal store? what gauge.

worse case, what would a new frame cost to have built or to build myself.

Also, I have seen in some post, the aluminum ribs behind the vinyl clad panel. If anyone has had to replace these, what are they called ...c channel? and if so what is the size and gauge.

I am "thinking about" making the window hole a bit larger. In thinking about that, I am thinking about residential weight and span. If you are going to make an opening and take out a beam…it will need to be replaced with more beams on either side…like jack studs and headers. Would the same thinking apply with an aluminum trailer?

Lastly…Where does everyone park their AS to work on it. My carport that is attached to my house is too short, it will barely fit between my house and the neighbors. My only other option is to park it on the street in front of my home…but then I have this ginormous trailer in the front of my house while it is being restored…or I can park it at a friends house that is 3 blocks away…under a tree…which I don’t like either.

Any suggestions?
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
If I remember correctly, this site has outriggers: Out-of-Doors Mart

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
You are jumping the gun. Wait till you've thoroughly inspected it before you assume the worst. (Remove belly pan, banana wrap)

Most frame issues can be repaired, a new frame is for all practical purposes, out of the question.

The crossmembers and outriggers are of a fairly light gauge steel and I've found that the red iron used in the newer metal buildings can be used for outriggers and probably for cross members as well.

An angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel or even a reciprocating saw (portable band saw is best) will make short work of it.

Below is a pic of an outrigger repair patch I fabricated and installed for another forum member (ALANSD).

Here is a picture of my own outriggers repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outrigger.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	47062  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote