Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Sebastopol , California
Check off that box!

Done insulating and re installing me belly pan on my frame on resto. Just a little easier than cutting the old one out. Best tool for the job was a neumatic shear. Not bad, go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	227124  
60's Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Sebastopol , California
iPad only lets me post one picture......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	227125  
60's Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Way to go! I did my frame, insulation and belly pan on my 24 footer, although 8 years newer than your 18. Like you, I did it laying on my back! I had difficulty with the rear corner pieces, trying to bend them around the rear radius.

You have a hard job done! Well done by the looks of it.

So we both can expect our "Belly Pan Replacement" Airstream merit badges in the mail pretty soon.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Belly Middle.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	227166  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Yellamo

1965 26' Overlander
Windsor , California
Greetings fellow Airstreamers...Say I'm in the beginning stages of restoring my '65 Overlander. I have removed the rivets from the rear of my belly pan to access the rotten floors in the rear bathroom area.PO left panel off for numerous years and floor has rotted. have started to remove rear cabinets, Should I remove entire belly pan to expose frame and subfloor for issues first? Seems that rivets are worn loose or detached anyway. Or tackle rear floor first? I'm open for advice...thanks Bryan O
Yellamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Yellamo,

I'd like to recommend you start a thread in the Airstream Knowledge Base, Travel Trailers, Overlander, and then your year range. The Knowledge Base category is toward the bottom of the home page. You will find the Overlander enthusiasts lurking there and will be a big help in your restoration projects. Many of them will subscribe to your thread and follow your project. You can ask questions and get advice pertinent to your project. This thread is for 50s Aluminum's project. Does that make sense?

Vintage Airstreams are great fun to tear apart and make like new again. The Overlander was one of the most popular models. It is a perfect size for serious traveling. In fact, that size trailer is still the perfect size for serious traveling in 2014.

I replaced the belly pan on my 66 Trade Wind and my 86 Limited. Such fun!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellamo View Post
Greetings fellow Airstreamers...Say I'm in the beginning stages of restoring my '65 Overlander. I have removed the rivets from the rear of my belly pan to access the rotten floors in the rear bathroom area.PO left panel off for numerous years and floor has rotted. have started to remove rear cabinets, Should I remove entire belly pan to expose frame and subfloor for issues first? Seems that rivets are worn loose or detached anyway. Or tackle rear floor first? I'm open for advice...thanks Bryan O
I would suggest removing the entire belly pan; it's the only way to know the condition of the rest of your frame, and then you can make all the repairs at once. Also, read the threads about changing the design of the rear wall/trunk area to eliminate the water intrusion that rots out the back ends of these trailers.

I agree with David's suggestion to start a thread showing your work as you go. It's the best way for all of us to learn.

Have fun,
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
And 50s Aluminum - what thickness aluminum sheet did you use? I went with the advise "whatever is cheap and handy will do for the belly pan" and found that 0.025 left wavy seams that are hard to get to lay flat and are prone to rivet pull-out.

Anyone else have this problem?

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote