Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
Which I would agree with, but I have no option. Or at least it is not a viable option.
The point is. A 5/32 Olympic rivet is not structurally superior. When you use one you will see why. Also. If you do choose to go that route. Make sure you buy them from a good supplier. There were shipments of Chinese ones last year that were all junk. I unfortunately brought some as airparts were out of stock.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Thank you to those who have posted their experiences and knowledge to this thread. It helps those of us who might be considered 'newbies' to adequately prepare for unforeseen repairs and so on. Happy trails and adventures.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
No, but a 1/4" one does have rated strengths greater than a 5/32 buck rivet. Even a 3/16 gets close. I know the heads are bigger, but I am fine with that if it keeps me from having to removed the interior skins and cabinets to replace the belly pan.

No one ever said structurally superior. I have used them in the past. Already did a shell off on a 67 and had to use them 2 or 3 places that I could not get a bucking tool. Just wanted to know if they are a suitable replacement if you cannot remove the interior skins. Seems like airstream believes that they are.

I did not know that there are chinese ones out there. I will.order from a gesipa distributor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
The point is. A 5/32 Olympic rivet is not structurally superior. When you use one you will see why. Also. If you do choose to go that route. Make sure you buy them from a good supplier. There were shipments of Chinese ones last year that were all junk. I unfortunately brought some as airparts were out of stock.
badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:28 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
Just wanted to know if they are a suitable replacement if you cannot remove the interior skins. Seems like airstream believes that they are.
Airstream will replace complete panels and quarter panels with Olympic rivets. Their service department told me it is the most common rivet they use on exterior panel replacement. Due to the number of rivets on a complete panel, they said structurally, we should not see a difference.
danton is offline   Reply With Quote