Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Belly pan wraps over side, can I put it under?

Took the rear rub rail (I think that's what it is called) off today to see if saggy bottom had been repaired right, it was by PO, lucky me.
The entire belly pan is coming off for to check for repairs that may need to be done and to paint the frame.

Anyway I noticed the the belly pan, banana wrap what ever its called is over top of the sidewall instead of under it, can I and/or should I try to get it under the the sidewalls?
If I do this can I use Olympic rivets when I reinstalling the side panels to the C channel?
If I leave it as is do I just Vulkem the crap out of it before I put the rub rail back on?

No pictures today, dropped the camera and broke it.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Bruce;
While it would be a great idea to have the belly wrap under the skin it would involve a lot of work. Also, should the belly wrap needed to be removed for any reason in the future, it will cost you lot of work as well. I have thought about it while restoring my 26' 1973 Arg, but decided against it instantly. Your belly pan will sweat anyway during the fast temperature changes from cold to hot and so on. I recommend that while you have your belly pan down, you cut 1" diameter holes in the lowest sagging areas in each section of the frame. Cut 4" disc's from heavy Stainless Steel screen and rivet them from inside, over the drain holes. Use strips of 1/2" X X 2" X 1/8" thick aluminum to reinforce the area. Make sure that the ends of the strip do not meet so that the moisture can drain without creating a dam effect. Since it is very difficult to stop condensation within the belly pan, the work you would put to place the belly pan skins under, it would not be of benefit. To seal the trim I have used 3M Scotch Linerless Rubber Splicing tape 0.060" thick. I have plenty of very heavy duty Stainless screen if you need it. Pay the shipping and screen is free. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
Anyway I noticed the the belly pan, banana wrap what ever its called is over top of the sidewall instead of under it, can I and/or should I try to get it under the the sidewalls?
Bruce,
That is the way they were and currently are built. That is why sealing the lower rub rail is so important. If it isn't sealed properly the water obviously gets in and starts soaking into the floor.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I did it but it was a bunch of work. While I was at it I also replaced all the lower skin. I always seem to be the exception and not the rule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01512.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	74998  
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote