Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Belly pan weep holes--a good idea?

I searched for a discussion about belly pans and weep holes, and couldn't find a dedicated thread on the topic.

I recently dropped my freshwater tank pan and found all kinds of funk in there. The styrofoam is saturated, probably from overfilling the tank and a loose vent tube connection I found at the fill door. Once I put a fitting on the fill door vent hole connection so it's sealed tight, there shouldn't be much water getting in there anymore. That said, I'm considering putting some 1/8" weep holes in the bottom of the freshwater pan, and thought I might do the same for the rest of the belly pan. Good or bad idea?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I actually installed small marine clam shell vents with screens between the clam shell and the skin. I installed one , down the center, between each frame cross member section. I wanted some ventilation in there to prevent long term corrosion...or at least slow it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamshell vents.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	266362

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Vents have been used and suggested before. It is best to not let water in that are but it is going to get in there anyway. Ventilation and easy access to the belly pan area is a good idea. Getting rid of bumper plate compartment leaks is a good idea as well. The pink insulation that they used at the factory needs to go because it saturates with water and contributes to the rotting of the frame and floor. I had to replace the last 4 ft of floor in my 81 31 ft and did not put fiberglass insulation back in. I also got rid of the plate that goes under the floor at the back that causes so much problem with funneling water under the floor. My new belly skins bolt on so I can get in there if I want to. I would find your leak and fix it. You should blow water out the vent if you overfill not leak into the tank pan.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Belly pan weep holes--a good idea?

Perry- someday when I get around to dropping the belly pan I'll replace with bolts as you mentioned to make it more accessible. The leak at the water door was from where the vent tube was not attached. Easy fix.

dznf0g - great idea with those clamshell vents. So one centered side to side and front to back between each frame rail? How large is the hole in the belly pan for them?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
"Getting rid of bumper plate compartment leaks is a good idea as well."

How is this done?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Perry- someday when I get around to dropping the belly pan I'll replace with bolts as you mentioned to make it more accessible. The leak at the water door was from where the vent tube was not attached. Easy fix.

dznf0g - great idea with those clamshell vents. So one centered side to side and front to back between each frame rail? How large is the hole in the belly pan for them?
Yes, on the placement question. You're straining my brain on the other...it's been 4 or 5 years since I did it. But, I went out and got some of those little round plastic siding vents for houses. I made the holes the same size as the vents...perhaps 3/4 or 1"...I want to say 3/4". I used one of those stepped bits for the drill and used very light pressure, so as to get a nice clean hole. Inserted the siding vent and trapped it between the flanges of the clam shell and the skin. I'll peruse the net and see if I can find the pieces for you.

Edit: Here are some examples...shop around for various styles and prices

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit...12_363_001_507

http://ventmastersstore.com/products...aFwaAvqn8P8HAQ

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10194A-...step+drill+bit

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks. That gives me a general idea. I found a bunch of clamshell vents on Amazon, so no need for a net search, but thanks. Great idea on the clamshells BTW.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Looks like we posted at the same time. I hadn't seen those round screened vents, so thanks. Those look perfect for the job.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
"Getting rid of bumper plate compartment leaks is a good idea as well."

How is this done?

Definitely a good idea, but not easily summed up in a few sentences. A Google search for "Airstream bumper leak" or something along those lines should bring up some good threads.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

When you do drop the belly pan my guess you will be shocked. Every belly pan that I have seen drop on the forum I have seen mold, rot, dead rodents and wet insulation. When restoring my 55 I used no insulation and apply stainless steel vents to the belly pan. I think it better to have air ventilation then to have the wet insulation. All trailer leak new and old.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
IMO there is enough ventilation in the belly. They are not tight and flying down the road in the heat will dry it out. I would be afraid to have those vents as easy access for rodents.

When i did my belly pan I used rigid insulation attached to floor. After riveting pan on I made sure there were no mouse sized holes but tiny gaps between each overlapping sheet so air and water can pass through.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolanehwy View Post
IMO there is enough ventilation in the belly. They are not tight and flying down the road in the heat will dry it out. I would be afraid to have those vents as easy access for rodents.

When i did my belly pan I used rigid insulation attached to floor. After riveting pan on I made sure there were no mouse sized holes but tiny gaps between each overlapping sheet so air and water can pass through.
As I said, they are screened. No rodents in 10 years. I rodent proofed the entire trailer.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
You could buy and instal the same variant that is used on airplanes; same concept just correctly sized.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
You could buy and instal the same variant that is used on airplanes; same concept just correctly sized.
Not familiar. Can you link?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I would suggest trapping water in the belly pan is not a good idea. Insulation gets soaked and corrosion (such as frame rust) and mold growth are supported.

Here is something I posted recently, "A number of years ago, I drilled into the belly pan on our trailer (to mount something) and water came out. This was after a couple of months of dry sunny weather during which the trailer had not been used or washed. I assumed it was water that had collected during a prior trip. I then drilled a number of 1/8 inch holes in the low spots of the belly pan and had water run out of several. I left the holes for later drainage and, in subsequent work on the trailer, have seen no water in the belly pan.

Do my little holes let water in? Probably, but it can drain right back out."

Water can get into the belly pan in any number of ways. Why not help it get back out?

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I am intrigued with your idea regarding marine clam shell vents. I am not familiar with this item. Does it employ a one-way flow mechanism?
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There's a link above. No valve. The mouth is pointed to the rear, so there is a venturi effect while driving. In theory anyway.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Definitely a good idea, but not easily summed up in a few sentences. A Google search for "Airstream bumper leak" or something along those lines should bring up some good threads.
I haven't had any water found in my compartments or bumper storage yet; been too dry here so far. But....
On my previous Hi Lo ,I found pools of water in the two storage bins as well as the bumper storage.So..
Where the water pooled, I drilled 1/4" holes.
The water drained out, and never filled again.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Did the small drain holes in last rv..a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel. Saw drips one day..then discovered the rotted area on belly pan. Found cause to be leak around rubber grommet at tank on fresh water fill hose. That was the best built camper ever but it can still happen. Drains/vents are good preventive maintenance. We don't know what lurks in the belly. These are good ideas here and I will do the AS next. Last time I drilled small holes and glued small pcs of screen over them.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"great idea with those clamshell vents". I'll second, third, or however many those. Those were nice and cheap.

I put some 1/8" holes in the bottom of my fresh water tank pan for your reason, sprayed them with some zinc to protect the steel lip newly exposed.

I thought of using those soffit vents as well but the sides stick up into the belly so you have to be sure the lip isn't super tight because that's where water will have to exit unless it gets to an inch or so high.

I also had a few spots where I just drilled some 1/8" holes in low spots.

I think the clam shells with some metal screen between them and skin is a great idea, think I'll borrow that one. Thanks dznf0g.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote