Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Belly pan off or on ?

Hi there folks,
So I was wondering if I pulled my belly pan off to do my floor replacement when I put my floor in and I'm ready to put my belly pan on ....can I leave it off until I get my AS home to CA. Oh i'm in FL right now is that crazy to do? I would reattache the outside skin to the frame and all that but I would just leave the belly pan off...My reasons are I'm going to install water tanks and finish the remodel inside when I get back home and dont' really want to buy a belly pan put it on then have to tear it off to put water tanks in. I want to start the belly pan off to look at my frame right now and feel kinda of nervous if I have to put back, plus my current one is in terrrible shape lots of holes and missing sections due to PO modifications to the AS. Thanks for taking a look......
augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
Hi there folks,
So I was wondering if I pulled my belly pan off to do my floor replacement when I put my floor in and I'm ready to put my belly pan on ....can I leave it off until I get my AS home to CA. Oh i'm in FL right now is that crazy to do? I would reattache the outside skin to the frame and all that but I would just leave the belly pan off...My reasons are I'm going to install water tanks and finish the remodel inside when I get back home and dont' really want to buy a belly pan put it on then have to tear it off to put water tanks in. I want to start the belly pan off to look at my frame right now and feel kinda of nervous if I have to put back, plus my current one is in terrrible shape lots of holes and missing sections due to PO modifications to the AS. Thanks for taking a look......
Not a good idea.

If you hit wet pavement, the bottom of the floor will get wet, as well as the frame.

Some things in life, just gotta be done, like put the underbelly on, before the trip.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
It makes sense not to drive on wet pavements. Why not pull over at first sign of rain and stay put untill pavement has dried out.
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
stay dry

I drove from Florida to Can Am in london Ont with the entire front off mine... luckily I was in no rush and when the weather was rainy (one day) I relaxed. It was on my mind the entire trip..better off to have replaced b4 I left as previously suggested by Inland RV.... depends on how much time do you have .
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
There are users on this forum who have done frame work and replaced their subfloors, and taken several years and driven thousands of miles before getting the bellypan back on. It can certainly be argued whether or not that is a good idea, but it has been done.

For one trip, I think you're fine. If the weather gets really messy you should think about stopping, and you will definitely want to give everything a thorough cleaning underneath once you get home.

Alternatively, if you're really worried about it, you could use screws to hold the pan to the frame, and then rivet it all once you have your tanks in.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
Hi there folks,
Hi Augier, It's probably best to run with your belly pan on. That said, You have to consider whats best for your situation. You can move the trailer without a belly pan. I would seal up the bottom of the plywood and the frame with a good paint. This will help allot if you do run into bad weather and with any cleanup on the other side. You probably need to get home and to rush the restoration of your Airstream might bite you in the butt. Don't forget to check the condition of your tires and repack the bearings. I saw the pics of your belly pan and I don't think it's in good enough condition to put back on.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I remember seeing somewhere in the forums that somebody removed the belly pan permanently. Then they somehow attached those styrofoam sheets that have foil on one side--that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot--to the underside of the floor. I realize this would expose the frame rails, but couldn't they rust-proofed, as well as the axle? I'm just looking for an alternative to replacing the disintegrating belly pan on my 1960 24' Tradewind. I'm not looking for reasons--like those already posted--to NOT remove the belly pan permanently. I'm a full-timer, and usually move once or twice a year--sometimes cross-country. Any "outside the box" ideas out there?
mccallmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote