Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2024, 07:24 AM   #1

2015 25' International
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Banana wrap replacement

Hi There,
So a wild tire came of a truck and cracked the plastic banana wrap front driver side. We purchased a new replacement banana wrap thinking we would replace it ourselves. Can someone please give us a how to lesson. of how to do it. We need to remove the beltline partially I would imagine and then what will we find how to remove the cracked banana wrap …then reattach. This is giving us or me some anxiety and I cannot find a video to save my life explaining how to remove and replace that piece. No damage was done to the underside of the trailer nor the belly pan and we did replace the rock guard our self that’s done thank goodness.
Thanks in advance
Lorie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	442193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	442194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	442195  
Goldbergl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Should be all riveted on, based on that last picture you posted. Figure out size of rivets, and use the same size drill bit to drill them all out. Might be a trial and error thing. Start with 1/8 inch probably. Then you can probably use the same size rivet to rivet new one on. And, yes, belt trim comes off to do the replacement. Might be more than one size rivets used in various areas of the belt trim and banana wrap. It's not real difficult. You will also want to seal the rivet holes when you rerivet with Vulkem (Trempro 635) or something similar. Aluminum safe caulk is what you need. Be careful of silicone - it's not always aluminum compatible, and may "eat" your aluminum if not. Read the tube.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #3

2015 25' International
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Thank you for answering my questions regarding that banana wrap… question … because I haven’t taken the banana wrap apart or the belt line off I can’t really tell how The banana wrap fits. Is it wedged between two structures like the outside skin and the c channel or is it on the outside skin wedged against the beltline?
Goldbergl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'm not sure how yours is. We have a '72 with aluminum banana wraps. Ours were originally on the outside of the skin under the belt line which funneled water into the subfloor. We have since repaired that, and the banana wrap is now under the skin and Vulkemed (Trempro'd) in place to be water tight. I would assume yours is under the skin also because of the potential for water intrusion otherwise. I think Airstream corrected that issue after the '70's.

I would advise (forgot yesterday) that you take pictures of your wraps at various stages of removal, so you can refer to them as you put the new ones on. We did that at many stages of gutting our '72, and used the pictures many times when putting our baby back together. It's amazing how little we remember sometimes....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote