Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Steps

I just bought a 1975 Sovereign. I can not figure out how to get the steps beneth the door to go down. Can anyone help me with this?
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Not sure if it is the same as my 78, but all you should need to do is press down on either side of the latch bar. The step is meant to automatically come down, but I need to wiggle mine around a little bit to get it fully extended.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

steps

hi tex

on my 76 there is a small lever on the lower right side of the door all you have to do is push the lever down and the steps should drop down then you pull it out the rest of the way it sounds like yours may be jamed try tapping it with a rubber mallet to loosin it up good luck
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Step

We just bought a 2002 Classic and have a step problem; it is worse than a rubric cube.

Ours is a 2-step, folding before latching. I wish that they would have published a booklet on how to unfold and fold the step.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Step

Craig and Paul
Where exactly is the lever or latch standing outside facing the inside, left or right, in the floor just inside the door, inside up on the wall, or outside to the right or left of the step as one is facing inside the trailer.

Thanks, Texas
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:13 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Standing on the ground looking at the step is there a horizontial bar that is just above the steps? If so there should be two ears, left and right. Lift up on the ears and the step should slide right out. DO NOT STAND TOO CLOSE, or the step will whack you so hard in the shins you will say bad words!

If when they open you are looking at the bottom of a step ( alumimum not a black no slip surface) then you have a double step as was mentioned above. Opening the double step is easy. Grab the back edge and lift it up, flipping the step into the open position and it should hang from the front edge of the top step.

To Close the bottom step, lift the front edge of the step and if I remember flip it back to where it started, you may have to wiggle some stuff but it should all lay flat like you found it. Once you figure it out it is easy.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Hi Brett. I have a '78 Sovereign. The steps are a bit tricky. The advise here is good. In addition to what you have read so far I suggest you watch which way the folding bars go, they should go back and not forward. If they go forward the steps will jam and will not level properly. Mine have no little bar that makes them go the correct way. It is just a matter of leaning over and pulling out. I hope your steps are level. Mine must have had a pretty substantial person really hoppin' on them as the bottom one is permanently dippy. A block of wood under the bottom step helps, but it has to be very carefully measured. We put a block that was a bit too big under ours the first time and took a flying leap. JLD