Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Step that won't drop down

I have an 1985 345 with a single step that will drop down only when the engine is shut down. It is suppose to drop down when the engine is running and the entry door is opened. It doesn't. It is vacuum operated. There is a wire that drop down to the area behind the step from the door jam switch. There is nothing to connect it to. I think something is missing but haven't a clue as to what it might be. Don't know where to look for help ? Whenever I go to a rally I look for another "85" that I can look under. No luck there..... My friends have an "86" but their step is electric.
Any ideas
Bill McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Bill, I just posted a similar problem with my 1983, but mine never retracts now (it did a couple of weeks ago, so nothing is missing -- just loose or broken). Maybe we can figure it out. I know that the door jamb switch is closed when the door is opened, providing power to the vacuum solenoid that's right next to the vacuum servo that actually runs the step, when the door is open. I *think* but am not sure that there's a relay in between, otherwise it's just the vacuum solenoid or the hose between it and the engine.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Bill, I had time today to check this out in mine. My vacuum solenoid is toast -- draws a little current but does not move inside. The wire you mention comes from the door jamb switch and is supposed to go to a three-way vacuum solenoid which sends vacuum to one side of the vacuum actuator when the door is closed (no current, step down). When the door is open, the door jamb switch closes and sends 12 volts to the vacuum solenoid, which sends the vacuum to the other side of the actuator to retract the step. What probably happened with yours is that the solenoid failed and someone hooked it up so it would at least retract when there was vacuum (engine running). That's how mine is now, after I bypassed the solenoid. To get it back to original we will need to replace the solenoid. Inland RV Andy says these have been unavailable for some time. There are lots of these used in industrial controls and car heaters and EGR systems. When I find a suitable replacement I'll post.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote