Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Step Bolt is this the correct one?

Here is a photo of the bolt that is in my step. It is the main attachement bolt that rides in the slot. I figured something was wrong because the bolts were wobbly and the step had a tilt to it. I removed it and tried to see how it fits in the slot. Well it turns out the larger sholder is too big for the slot. Also the largest flange on the bolt hits the angle that is used to stiffen the step outrigger. It hits it at the point where it goes into that locking hook area. If the bolt were tight the step would not lock into the deployed position. It looks to me that bolt should have a small flange just smaller than the slot and basically no shoulder past that or at least no shoulder where it hits that angle iron piece in there. I know this probably makes no sense but here is the bolt. I sorta think it is the wrong one.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
Here is a photo of the bolt that is in my step. It is the main attachement bolt that rides in the slot. I figured something was wrong because the bolts were wobbly and the step had a tilt to it. I removed it and tried to see how it fits in the slot. Well it turns out the larger sholder is too big for the slot. Also the largest flange on the bolt hits the angle that is used to stiffen the step outrigger. It hits it at the point where it goes into that locking hook area. If the bolt were tight the step would not lock into the deployed position. It looks to me that bolt should have a small flange just smaller than the slot and basically no shoulder past that or at least no shoulder where it hits that angle iron piece in there. I know this probably makes no sense but here is the bolt. I sorta think it is the wrong one.

Perry
Out of doors mart makes a parts kit for the steps and has diagrams on how it works together . Good luck, even on my 72 Tradewind I was always replacing these screws as they tend to work loose and fall out

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...9261ee58a40823
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog

Out of doors mart makes a parts kit for the steps and has diagrams on how it works together . Good luck, even on my 72 Tradewind I was always replacing these screws as they tend to work loose and fall out

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...9261ee58a40823
Click on the little picture of the step and the whole parts page will come up. Richhog
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I have been looking at that page. The bolt it shows is the one I pulled out. However, there was a broken shoulder nut under the skin in the step area that looks like the Stepped portion is a better fit to the groove in the outrigger. Here is the other one and it looks correct.

Perry
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
a picture that might be worth a few hundred words

Dunno if the stairs changed much from 1977 to 1981, but here is a page from the SM of the stairs.

While you can't really make out much from the image as far as the shapes of various items, a lot of them have a clear description including measurements.

Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77 SM image re steps.JPG
Views:	1229
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	161197  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I figured it out. For some reason the largest shoulder would not fit in the groove in the step outrigger. I am not sure why this is. The slot is about 1/2" wide and the flange on the bolt is 1/2" in diameter. The smaller shoulder just after the threads is supposed to go up in the aluminum support arm. Mine was loose and riding on this. I think maybe the slot got a lip rolled on it and is now just a hair too narrow. So what I did was grind down the larger flange on the bolt just a little so it would fit in the slot. Now that bolt will seat up against the aluminum arm and the bolt will fit tight in the slot. The first bolt is the correct one assuming something has not be distorted by PO neglect. I POR15'ed the step area and as much of the frame as I could get to without major skin removal. I pulled as much stinky pink stuff out as I could get. I really hate that stuff.

Perry
Old 06-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The steps are back together and working well. It took a little while to get the POR15 off the tracks and I had to remove some burrs that were jaming the arms of the steps and keeping them from closing all the way. There were burrs where the steps lock into the hook at the end of the slot. I got my Dremel out with a stone on it and ground it back flat there. The arms of the step were hitting that burr that formed over time and was probably not helped by the bolt not being tight.

Perry
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Steps are tricky. Sounds like you are in line to be nominated as our new step expert. Good going!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote