Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Greenville , South Carolina
Replacement Steps

We have four young children and the three that are walking have difficulty climbing into the "Family Can"

We have an CCD model and are interested in replacing the existing steps with the type that are featured on the Classic.

Where can these be found at the best price???
FamilyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

There was a thread on this about two years ago... it was determined that your steps could not be replaced with the Classic style steps... that the mounting hardware was incompatible.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you check out RV Steps on the internet you will find small folding steps that may help the young ones.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Greenville , South Carolina
Incompatability is a state of mind :-)

I am still interested in a source... www.trailerworks.biz is a friend, and I would have Eric let us know what he is able to do before any final decision... so does anyone know where to find these???
FamilyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Seen it!

I met a man camping in a Safari who had replaced the single step with a double... Cost him $650 or thereabouts. My 22ft has the single step, the 25 has the double. I DO appreciate the extra step, especially on campgrounds that slope away from the door.

However $650? There are several folding steps available at Camping World that would work just as well and cost $50 or less. One is made of aluminum, is about 12 by 18 inches wide and has folding legs that make it 7 or 8 inches high... just right for that bottom step and very friendly for "big feet" mom and dad. That stool is also useful when getting stuff out of a high tow vehicle or off the roof... so for my money it's a much better deal. When you pull away, just turn it upside down, put it on the floor of the camper and close the door.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Did It! (Replaced Safari single step with double)

My 2004 Safari 25 footer came with a single step. They, Airstream used a standard RV step on my Safari, not the Airstream designed step. They started installing double steps in 2005. I measured the distance between the ends of the bannana wrap and then went to Camping World, and found a double step which would fit. It is a tight fit. I had to redrill mounting holes in the front (outboard) mounting flange on the trailer to match the step, and redrill the step for the rear (inner) mounting to match the trailer. Sorry I don't know which step I purchased, as I gave the single step away with the box.

The cost was not anything close to the $650 price posted earlier.

Sam Halderman
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote