Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Minor Dings!

Dirty Word.

I was coming down a section of 17 in Virginia that is only two lane, had to pull off the road for fuel, getting back on I hit "something" that turned out to be decorative boulders placed around a driveway.

I immediately pulled off on the other side of the road, looking frantically for damage thinking Oh how much will a new side panel and wheel well cost?

Couldn't see any damage anywhere. Then I noticed the steps looked a little wonky - and lo and behold they'd been boinked toward the rear about half an inch - they work, but scrape. So should I attack them with a sledge hammer or otherwise try to bend them straight? Or will that cause the bolts to fail? Better to replace?

OH, and then the BIGGER thing that I noticed two weeks LATER. I was checking my air pressure and my curbside front tire only had 24 lbs in it - YIKES. So of course I got out the little battery operated compresser and let it fill forever - finally gave up when it reached 60 lbs. Said and pulled off the air hose to hear the ssssssssssssssssss of escaping air. Changed out the tire with my spare, a sweaty proposition in 90 degree weather, and fanagled the tire up into the bed of my truck to take it to the garage and get it plugged. Today I decided to soap it at home and find the leak myself. As I flipped it over I saw the problem, the rim was completely bent in on the inside of the tire. In fact, the aluminum is actually cracked. I don't know how it held ANY air, and it may be a testimony to my Reese Dual Cam that I drove it home over 100 miles without realizing that there was anything wrong. Lucky it didn't shred and eat the wheel well. I just noticed that it did look a bit squishy a few days ago. These tires are the OEM Goodyear Marathons, manufactured 12/05 so I was planning to replace them in the spring. They have plenty of tread left and only the one that's on the bad rim has any sidewall scuffing or other apparent wear.

I'm debating whether to replace all four - I'm going with Marathons again - or just this one -with the sidewall scuff and 100 miles underinflated, I'm thinking it would be prudent to replace this one rather than mount it on a new rim and pray. (I know, I know all of the Marathon horror stories. I check mine every time I go out and they all look good. I travel a bit, I'm not putting 5K per year on them so I can't see going for Michelins. )

So where can I get a new matching rim without breaking the bank? These are standard 06 Safari SE rims.

Oh by the way, I always MEAN to check the air in the spare ... but it's one of those "I'll do it next time" items all too often. I had 33 lbs so I got to sit 15 minutes in my truck letting the itty bitty compresser fill it up. YES DEARS I DID CHECK the back side of the rear rim - and oh ....... I laid down right on an ANTS nest to do it!

Paula
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Oh dear

I am so sorry to hear of your hard luck. I am glad that it was not a MAJOR dent in the panels and that the tire held up to the drive and didn't shred!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Paula.

for the stairs, based on your description, I think I'd just extend them and then with my back against something sturdy and my butt on the ground, I'd use my legs/feet to push them back straight. The bolts should be fine.

For the wheel, depending on where the crack is and how bad the wheel is deformed, it may be able to be repaired. Just google alloy wheel repair. If not, you might get lucky on ebay??
http://www.wheelcollision.com/ these guys might be able to help.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
do all four tires and keep the others to rotate in and out as spares or if something else (heaven forbid) might happen...
my 2 cents and that's all its worth...
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I bent a wheel in that fashion out west of Bristol on 58. I don't think there is a safe way to repair a wheel. I ordered a replacement from friend Andy at Inland.

I'd take a second look at the tire - it may be ok.

Hate those driveway gremlins. And raised curbs.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
for the stairs, based on your description, I think I'd just extend them and then with my back against something sturdy and my butt on the ground, I'd use my legs/feet to push them back straight. The bolts should be fine.

I bent my stairs back last year and this scientific technique worked good for me! A year later they are still working fine. I figure I will replace them if they become unusable.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Paula,
I am glad you noticed the situation before anything really bad happened.
Since you ran on essentially one tire the inflated one has been over stressed. I would suggest replaciing at least both tire on that side.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rims