Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2004, 05:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Watch Out For That Last Step

Tom,
Ain't this forum great? Joecj76 has one of these rare birds.
I got looking through my '69 Owners Manual and came across two references to this step. Neither one showed any pictures of it, though.
On page 103 of the manual it states, "The auxiliary step extension (optional) can be placed into position by unfolding the wings of the step extension and inserting the square bars into the holes provided in the front of the fold-away step. Do not travel with auxiliary step inserted in fold-away step. Place the auxiliary step in the storage bracket provided under the trailer, forward of the main step."
So, either the one I've seen was a homemade replica, or had been modified to remove the folding wings feature. Plus, with this step, apparently, one also got an under-the-trailer bracket in which to store the thing.
I'll be anxious to see joecj76's photos, as now I'm thinking I'd like a lower step, too.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At the Rally here in Florida, the Airstream company store was selling all the parts to build your own lower step. They should be still available, the parts are listed by part number in my service manual.
Terry
Old 03-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

The funny part is that when I got the Tradewinds, it had a lot of junk in it. The step was in the junk pile until the misses asked me why I was throwing out the second step! I sure am glad she knew what it was...I didn't.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:06 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

If anyone has the "under the trailer" storage bracket let me know!
Old 03-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

This is the only pic of the step that I have here. I will take some more as soon as I can get there.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp asstep.bmp (88.2 KB, 230 views)
Old 03-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Has anyone tried to retrofit the '2-step' aluminum one onto the single steel step trailers like the current Safari models??
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:01 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
covering the steps

I have the second step and being really short, I like it. Has anyone put carpet or rubber or something on these steps? They look just right to smash a shin into them. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Here's the pics of the step
Old 03-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

File to large...I'm working on it
Old 01-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
The step you have was used through 1969. At least some (if not all) Airstreams were built with the aluminum 'flip step' starting in 1970.
...If someone on the forum has one that could be photographed, and maybe even measured, it should be an easy job for an experienced welder to replicate.
I have been fortunate enough to acquire one of Airstream's second steps. In an effort to help others who want to make their own step, a web page is currently under development. Your thoughts on any key information I have omitted would be most welcome.

Does anyone know when Airstream started using this particular step? While I personally do not weld pretty enough to make these steps for anyone else, there is a vendor interested in marketing a reproduction if enough people are interested in purchasing the step.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Composite.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	10112  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #31
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Personally, I prefer the convenience of just using a heavy duty Rubbermaid stool as an extra step. It's much easier to store and sometimes comes in handy for reaching higher areas of the trailer when washing, etc. And no sharp edges for silver suz to bump her shins on.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm glad y'all revived this thread -- missed it the first time around. Interesting hearing that MILLIONAIRE-oriented Airstream discontinued steel steps so long ago. My '76 Argosy still had the steel steps -- probably in the name of holding down price for those 'family affordable' trailers. For so many other rust issues on my trailer, the original paint has held up quite well. Yes, the lower step swings and this gives me a few great ideas -- Thanks!!

TomW -- Looked at your website. Good idea on the chip blower. I've also been made miserable by working cedar. I can't go into a sauna or any area with heated cedar any more. An MD friend of mine researched this -- there is a toxin in western red that damages respiratory passages once the individual is sensitized (kinda like poison ivy doesn't get you the first time...). It can lead to lung damage and asthma not too far down the road. I've found that paint spray respirators with the organic vapor element works wonders.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:07 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
I love the second step, but link is not working?
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I have been fortunate enough to acquire one of Airstream's second steps. In an effort to help others who want to make their own step, a web page is currently under development. Your thoughts on any key information I have omitted would be most welcome. ...
My Airstream's web site was migrated to a different server many years ago. Try this link:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/2ndStep.htm

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote