Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
How to tighten upper mount bracket for steps

On a trip and my steps are acting up a bit, I’ve snugged the weird screw/nut points but the top bracket mount screw seems to be backing out toward the inside covered area of AS underside. Are these fasteners supposed to have a nut on them? Both sides missing if so. Is there anyway without drilling out rivets to tighten this screw? Pic attached Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	350391
Old 08-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I need to do a similar adjustment.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Titusville , Florida
Having the same problem with 2018 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
On a trip and my steps are acting up a bit, I’ve snugged the weird screw/nut points but the top bracket mount screw seems to be backing out toward the inside covered area of AS underside. Are these fasteners supposed to have a nut on them? Both sides missing if so. Is there anyway without drilling out rivets to tighten this screw? Pic attached Attachment 350391
I'm having the same problem with my 2018 FC 28RB. Does anyone have a good idea how to tighten these bolts BEFORE they fall off inside the metal body?
spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
spark01,

I recently repaired my steps, including full R&R to address part of the wiggle.

The shoulder bolt for the sliding arm. To access this for me it was necessary to cut an access panel from on outrigger about 6" square. It's fully underneath and not visible at all unless you go under and look for it. That allows reaching both bolts. I also put masking tape over the cut edges to save bandaids. Jig saw, extra fine tooth blade, eye protection and not a big deal. Then I made new cover panels and attached with hex head sheet metal screws.

The front (short) arm anchor into the outrigger. That nut and bolt was tight, but loose in it's anchor on the outrigger. IIRC I added a washer somewhere to capture the shoulder of the bolt. Sorry, details a bit sketchy but with some inspection I think you can see the slop factor.

The big item for my rig was the hook in the outrigger was a bit weak and worn. That took some fabrication but all hand work no welding. Steps are now quite solid.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Titusville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
spark01,

I recently repaired my steps, including full R&R to address part of the wiggle.

The shoulder bolt for the sliding arm. To access this for me it was necessary to cut an access panel from on outrigger about 6" square. It's fully underneath and not visible at all unless you go under and look for it. That allows reaching both bolts. I also put masking tape over the cut edges to save bandaids. Jig saw, extra fine tooth blade, eye protection and not a big deal. Then I made new cover panels and attached with hex head sheet metal screws.

The front (short) arm anchor into the outrigger. That nut and bolt was tight, but loose in it's anchor on the outrigger. IIRC I added a washer somewhere to capture the shoulder of the bolt. Sorry, details a bit sketchy but with some inspection I think you can see the slop factor.

The big item for my rig was the hook in the outrigger was a bit weak and worn. That took some fabrication but all hand work no welding. Steps are now quite solid.

Gary
Wow! Thanks for sharing the info, Gary. I was afraid that cutting open the underbelly might be inevitable... I can't believe Airstream hasn't encountered this issue before, leaving no easier way to service the steps. Either a clear design flaw or a willful negligence on their part.
spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Spark01,

If you’d like further details just send me a pm with contact info and I’ll offer additional .02.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote