Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Folding Steps

Yesterday, on our trip to FL, I momentarily forgot the trailer was behind me and when turning right at an intersection, I hit the curb. Drat!

The tire was scuffed and the rim scratched a bit but the real damage was to the folding step. It also hit the curb and bent and also popped a steel rivet on one side. After working on it a bit it will now fold out as designed but is still damaged. Can this step unit be replaced easily? Will a replacement step just bolt on using the same bolt pattern? Where could a replacement step be bought?

I also remember reading something about a new aluminum step. The same questions apply.

Thanks for your input!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Yesterday, on our trip to FL, I momentarily forgot the trailer was behind me and when turning right at an intersection, I hit the curb. Drat!

The tire was scuffed and the rim scratched a bit but the real damage was to the folding step. It also hit the curb and bent and also popped a steel rivet on one side. After working on it a bit it will now fold out as designed but is still damaged. Can this step unit be replaced easily? Will a replacement step just bolt on using the same bolt pattern? Where could a replacement step be bought?

I also remember reading something about a new aluminum step. The same questions apply.

Thanks for your input!
I had similar thing happen on our 2008 25'. Mine was up, and I just got too close to a inside curb on a narrow stretch of mountain road. I think Lewster or one of the experts here, helped direct us to a new step assembly from Airstream for around $212 plus shipping. I installed myself without much trouble. New steps may work also, but more expensive...$700+ I believe; the newer steps do stow away much better though, if you can get one to fit.
See the link below for older step. Good luck!

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airstream-Parts/Steps/steel-double-step-for-airstream-built-since-1994-381863-01

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...1994-381863-01

If the above links do not go directly, go to the airstreamsupply.com site and you can easily get to the right parts under steps...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I had similar thing happen on our 2008 25'. Mine was up, and I just got too close to a inside curb on a narrow stretch of mountain road. I think Lewster or one of the experts here, helped direct us to a new step assembly from Airstream for around $212 plus shipping. I installed myself without much trouble. New steps may work also, but more expensive...$700+ I believe; the newer steps do stow away much better though, if you can get one to fit.
See the link below for older step. Good luck!

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airstream-Parts/Steps/steel-double-step-for-airstream-built-since-1994-381863-01

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...1994-381863-01

If the above links do not go directly, go to the airstreamsupply.com site and you can easily get to the right parts under steps...
Thanks! The link worked fine.

Do you know if the hole pattern is the same? I have a limited amount of tools with me.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Thanks! The link worked fine.

Do you know if the hole pattern is the same? I have a limited amount of tools with me.
yes; I used same mounting hardware. Should be fine.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Thank you!

Silly me, I didn't realize there was an entire category related to "Steps" under the Exterior Restoration section. I have been reading through the various posts. Based on the suggestions I ordered replacement steps from Etrailer. The cost was one third of the Silver Trailer Supply price, plus Etrailer offers free shipping for a limited time.

Based on the information on the Etrailer site it should be an exact match with the same bolt pattern. I'll post the results!

Thanks again!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Thank you!

Silly me, I didn't realize there was an entire category related to "Steps" under the Exterior Restoration section. I have been reading through the various posts. Based on the suggestions I ordered replacement steps from Etrailer. The cost was one third of the Silver Trailer Supply price, plus Etrailer offers free shipping for a limited time.

Based on the information on the Etrailer site it should be an exact match with the same bolt pattern. I'll post the results!

Thanks again!
Thanks for that $$ savings note...I have only ordered parts directly from AS 2 times; once the step, and once my son broke one of our big side windows in our older 25'. In that case, I was in MT, it was freezing at night, and even though the duck tape was holding the plastic over the window opening, we were getting ready to head back to TX, so I needed to replace quickly. I remember the window was about $250/ but the shipping was more! Took me about 2 hours to install myself in the mountains of MT....but all worked out.

I will check out Etrailer...thanks again.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Thank you!

Silly me, I didn't realize there was an entire category related to "Steps" under the Exterior Restoration section. I have been reading through the various posts. Based on the suggestions I ordered replacement steps from Etrailer. The cost was one third of the Silver Trailer Supply price, plus Etrailer offers free shipping for a limited time.

Based on the information on the Etrailer site it should be an exact match with the same bolt pattern. I'll post the results!

Thanks again!
Today I installed my new steps. The steps I purchased from Etrailer was an exact match and hole pattern matched perfectly. Here is a link, https://www.etrailer.com/p-952240RFXWAC1.htm. It took about an hour from start to finish.

One challenge was how to hold the steps while putting the bolts in as it too heavy to hold with one hand and start the screws with the other. After some thinking I made a platform out of some boards I had laying around and placed it under the old steps, loosened the bolts, lower it to the platform and then slid it out. I did the reverse with the installation. Worked well.

This is the first purchase I ever made from Etrailer and I was impressed. Not only was the price less than Silver Trailer Supply and Amazon, but the shipping was free, great communication and customer service. I'm not associated with Etrailer in any way but like good prices and service, FWIW!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Link for steps on Amazon

I believe the same steps can be found here on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-43268.../dp/B00JMHHFVE
rosmuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
1992 34' Limited
South bend , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 19
other options from MORryde

I took out a rock in parking lot then asked my engineers here at MORryde to find a way to make strong steps that touch the ground, look nice and work with an AS door. You can see on the link below what we came up with. If you have any questions about testing, fitting or anything please let me know.

http://www.morryde.com/products/221-...turn=/products
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
I took out a rock in parking lot then asked my engineers here at MORryde to find a way to make strong steps that touch the ground, look nice and work with an AS door. You can see on the link below what we came up with. If you have any questions about testing, fitting or anything please let me know.

http://www.morryde.com/products/221-...turn=/products
Very nice! By the way, does it come in an "escalator" model? (just kidding)
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 13
The original steps failed (flexco) on my travel trailer, they broke at the weld where they should not. I looked around from the campground on what others have done in similar circumstances and found Mor/Ryde. I literally spent 10 minutes putting these new steps in. I took my time triple reading the instructions. Easy as can be. With the easy install and solid product it makes me feel better about spending almost $300
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Folding assist handle at steps ole81 Steps 1 09-14-2013 09:02 PM
Photo of folding steps please SmokelessJoe Steps 9 09-15-2010 02:25 PM
Reconditioning Folding Steps DEITZ645 Steps 6 06-11-2009 04:29 AM
Slipped Off Folding Steps-Ouch! fastrob Steps 12 02-02-2009 09:30 AM
Folding steps niftypkg Steps 7 04-29-2008 09:01 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.