Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Double Step Issue - Help Please

I just replaced the RH side bolt kit on my 89 Excella double step. I did it exactly as the opposite side and per the pic attached ( "K" where it attaches to the front of the top step).

However, for the life of me, I cannot get the bottom step to fold down as it did before.

Seems to want to come down upside down.

Any clues as to what I did wrong, or have I just forgotten how to lower it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS step rightSide.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	313998  

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
I just replaced the RH side bolt kit on my 89 Excella double step. I did it exactly as the opposite side and per the pic attached ( "K" where it attaches to the front of the top step).

However, for the life of me, I cannot get the bottom step to fold down as it did before.

Seems to want to come down upside down.

Any clues as to what I did wrong, or have I just forgotten how to lower it?
You have forgotten how to unfold. Push the lower step struts inward, flip lower step forward edge to forward edge of the tip step. Continue to flip lower step on top of upper step.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Watch this.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Got It

Never mind my stupidity.

Had it installed correctly, just forgot how to properly lower it.
Old timer's disease creeping up on me!

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The step is designed as an IQ test with the additional feature that it can cut off a finger if you get it wrong.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. Like that aluminum folding step design a LOT better than the cheapo steel one I have now.

Does anyone have the part number of the whole assembly, and know if it is easy to replace the old one with the new aluminum one?

I'm tired of the old steel one binding, snagging on things, and being a general PITA to use...and it does not lock closed, either...

And, don't worry, frjeff, getting confused seems to be a way of life nowadays--too much stuff to remember!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Double step

The double step from Airstream retails for $650. We have a problem with the step, if you step on the right side of the step it tries to collapse. No way to repair without getting inside the belly pan. Next week to the shop.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Out of doors mart has al. steps and parts.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
We have one of each style on our trailers and love the Excella's aluminum step and hate the FC's steel piece of junk, can't believe they put those on an Airstream.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
aluminum step

When I purchased my 75 International it only had the top step. So I purchased all the parts and a bottom step. Costing about $400. what the parts diagram doesn't tell you is that you should probably use Lock-tight on most all of the screws as constantly flipping the bottom stair causes the screws to back off and then during travels you loose the difficult to replace allen head screws and end up taking off the bottom step so you don't bend or damage it. The step will be very stiff at first but then will act correctly after a few flips and then vibration alone will not be enough to lose any parts.
As far as the metal steps go, I had found out from the dealer that on newer AS under 25 foot they cheap out and use metal steps that rust out just like any car. However if you spend more on a larger unit , one of the perks is that they come with the beautiful aluminum 2 step.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the aluminum two part step and it works fine.
But I still prefer a step placed on the ground.
While traveling I turn it upside down and put it right inside the door so it's ready to use.
I release the AS step and leave it folded as the second step.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61wzioMRpFL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	314016  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Gadget for under the lower step

We have the double step,but there is a very high load on the system when one places one's weight on the bottom step. This issue is avoided, and the lower step feels much firmer, if one fits the height-adjustable gadget that slides in the grooves under the lower step and reaches the ground:
https://amzn.to/2Kd61ta
We usually fit a piece of 6x2 under the base of the gadget to spread the load if we're on soft earth.
Nick
Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hm. Like that aluminum folding step design a LOT better than the cheapo steel one I have now.

Does anyone have the part number of the whole assembly, and know if it is easy to replace the old one with the new aluminum one?

I'm tired of the old steel one binding, snagging on things, and being a general PITA to use...and it does not lock closed, either...

And, don't worry, frjeff, getting confused seems to be a way of life nowadays--too much stuff to remember!!!
The opening for your metal step is wider than the aluminum step so you will see some gap on the sides if you go to the folding aluminum step .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Alternative for built in steps

We abandoned our built in steps many years ago. We constantly had issues with them. We recommend not using the Airstream double step.

We use a 20" high, 23" wide, welded aluminum stationary step that is ANSI and OSHA approved. This is solid Welded Aluminum Step with Camco Wrap Around Step Rug. This works perfectly with our 30' Classic

Our step is > 10 years old, and it is perhaps our best trailer accessory.

At 13 lbs., it much lighter weight than a steel alternative. It is much easier to deploy and store than the built in steps. Cleaning is simple. It sits just inside the door during transit.

Most importantly, our beagle is comfortable using the step.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The link to the rug works but not the steps. Looks good though!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by loft47 View Post
The double step from Airstream retails for $650. We have a problem with the step, if you step on the right side of the step it tries to collapse. No way to repair without getting inside the belly pan. Next week to the shop.
Try grinding a steeper angle on the retainer arm notch...ours was rounded off completely.
Had to grind both sides the same to make sure it stayed even. The bolt was also worn badly.
Was also able to fabricate a new bolt that fits in the notch.
Found a bolt the right diameter & length. Threaded a nut & washer all the way on. Carefully ground most of the threads smooth. Mounted on the arm with permanent LocTite. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08870.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	315318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08869.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	315319  

Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Try grinding a steeper angle on the retainer arm notch...ours was rounded off completely.
Had to grind both sides the same to make sure it stayed even. The bolt was also worn badly.
Was also able to fabricate a new bolt that fits in the notch.
Found a bolt the right diameter & length. Threaded a nut & washer all the way on. Carefully ground most of the threads smooth. Mounted on the arm with permanent LocTite. ��

Bob
����

Thanks for the idea and the pictures. My step failed about half way to Salem. The sliding bolt was lost somehow. I bought one at the rally. Airstream Adventures Northwest brought a bunch of parts to the rally. But it looks like I have to remove the banana wrap to put it in. It also looks like someone did it before. The banana wrap is cracked and bent right where you might try to bend it to get rear access. The bar was tapped and the bolt was threaded into it, but the threads are stripped. The AS parts manual shows a washer head bolt threaded in from the back side with a nut on the side of the bar next to the step.

I was trying to figure out how to repair the worn groove, thinking about welding, adding a plate, etc. I like grinding both sides a lot better.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We abandoned our built in steps many years ago. We constantly had issues with them. We recommend not using the Airstream double step.

We use a 20" high, 23" wide, welded aluminum stationary step that is ANSI and OSHA approved. This is solid Welded Aluminum Step with Camco Wrap Around Step Rug. This works perfectly with our 30' Classic

Our step is > 10 years old, and it is perhaps our best trailer accessory.

At 13 lbs., it much lighter weight than a steel alternative. It is much easier to deploy and store than the built in steps. Cleaning is simple. It sits just inside the door during transit.

Most importantly, our beagle is comfortable using the step.

73/gus
Can you provide a better link to the steps in your picture or tell me the company of manufacture and where they were purchased.

Thanks
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
FWIW

I just fixed my classic aluminum steps. Not locking securely. It took some doing but the results are solid.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hi frjeff and others...

now that we're talking about Airstream steps it's a good time to consider the StepStick. It's a wonderful device I purchased years ago (see picture below) from an old-time Airstreamer who made these step supports from conduit pipe. I bought mine at an Airstream rally rummage sale years ago and it's proved very helpful over the years. When the second step is deployed there is some amount of "bounce" because of the flexibility in the step mechanism. Similar bounce/flex/movement happens even if you have the steel stairs.

Presto! Air Forums member GMFL has come to the rescue and will sell you a StepStick at a very reasonable price. Be sure to tell GMFL if you have the aluminum or steel steps.

See the previous thread on the subject HERE.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stepstick.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	380567  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote