Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Do I really have to admit my stupidity?

Working my way through my recent purchase, a 1985 31 ft. Limited. Wife and I spent the day applying some TLC to the interior......very pleased with the results. But that is another story.
Okay, here is the stupid part.....getting one step of my two steps down is a snap. grab the levers on each side and lift and it snaps in to place. Now getting the second step down has been a perplexing problem, yet unsolved. I did it the very first time a tried but have been unable to duplicate since then. I was a hospital administrator, not an engineer so that explains it all.......it'll be interesting to see how you explain this to feat to me.
Your assistance is welcome.
Ron T.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I know I saw the dealer do it, but when I got home I felt like an idiot. It might be one of those right brain, left brain things... The step is designed to be functional with only the 1st section deployed. If the second section is needed you grab the rear edge and roll it 360 degrees towards you keeping the front edge above the first step until everything is clear. To stow it, roll it up to the rear remembering it rotates 360 degrees.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Sometimes they do not operate so smoothly as the should as they age. If they are not lubricated properly they will bind. You might need a drop or two of light oil, or a spray of silicon if you have that, on all of the piviot points.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
I know I saw the dealer do it, but when I got home I felt like an idiot. It might be one of those right brain, left brain things... The step is designed to be functional with only the 1st section deployed. If the second section is needed you grab the rear edge and roll it 360 degrees towards you keeping the front edge above the first step until everything is clear. To stow it, roll it up to the rear remembering it rotates 360 degrees.
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
RT, just wondering about your step progress. When you get it swung down it is a bit like a trapeeze. I've heard it referred to as a "widow maker". When you step down on it it can swing some, depending on how much wear it has on it, you end up on the ground. Best case embarressed, worst case something broken (not the step). There is a homemade device out there that can help reduce/eliminate the problem . Let me know if you need any info. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
RT, just wondering about your step progress. When you get it swung down it is a bit like a trapeeze. I've heard it referred to as a "widow maker". When you step down on it it can swing some, depending on how much wear it has on it, you end up on the ground. Best case embarressed, worst case something broken (not the step). There is a homemade device out there that can help reduce/eliminate the problem . Let me know if you need any info. John
I tried it this morning and it worked fine. Seemed stable but I would appreciate the info you have on the homemade device you speak of.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
As "they" say, worked like a charm. Thanks Yankee Doodle.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
:57 seconds into the Video....

Eight years and I still fumble.....
Colonial Airstream - Airstream Classic Limited - #1 Volume Airstreams Dealer, Colonial Airstream, Travel Trailers, RV

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I've also found that the Allen screws in the step brackets loosen with use and everything gets loosey goosey down there. These screws are custom parts so you won't find them at the local hardware store. Carry a couple of Allen wrenches to snug them up as needed. Silicone spray is the recommended lubricant. I'm currently seeing how Loc-Tite on the screw threads works to keep them secure over time.

But this doesn't address the issue sandlapper brought up. Be sure the top step is completely latched on both ends. To me, the bottom step feels spongy when I step on it. I saw where one fellow fabricated a simple brace from copper pipe. It was about 27" long and small diameter, maybe 3/8" and formed a tee. With the bottom step deployed, the tee end of the brace was placed centered against the inside top corner of the box the steps retract into. The other end of the pipe had a notch cut into it and was placed against the rear edge of the bottom step. When weight is placed on the step, the assembly wants to move inward, the brace resists that movement and the steps feel solid. I need to make one myself, need to figure out how to make it from aluminum don't you know!

If you'd want to try something store bought, most places like Camping World sell adjustable stabilizers. With the steps deployed, adjust the stabilizer to fit the gap, then place under the bottom step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2680836587.png
Views:	141
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	141428  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
R TRUN
You are not stupid. Like Bob it still takes me a mintue to figure it out and I have been doin it for 3 yrs now. Spray silicone will be the best to use. So dont feel bad,sometimes I have to stop and think about it even if I just operated the step yesterday.LOL. Just watch your fingers.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I run into this all the time. Some men -- literally -- are given the ability to figure how many turns of a screwdriver to remove a fastener of unknown depth on a previously unknown machine. Not me. Not even when I've done it before.

So I took a different tack. Those men may also be the ones who never read the owners manual. I do.

And I may be slow, and not just on the uptake, but in how long the job takes. So my R&R jobs are much about clean, lube, replace small wearing parts, etc. And the search for the right supplies (lube type, then brand, in your instance I think) is the cake icing. It was done as well or better than some others. I will give it the qualities inherent to my view of it: the best will always do (if I am able).

But don't expect me to make a living at it.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I have seen the metal "T" shaped device for helping the wobblies. The PO of my son's trailer left one in there. It helped some but tended to get out of place so really didn't help much after a few times up/down the step. I make mine of wood (painted silver of course) with an extra little thing to keep it in place. Blends right in under the step & works great. You may run across one at a rally sometime, I've got a few of them out there. I will try to get a picture posted later today. John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Rednax, I think I know what you're saying. I,too, like perfection. So I tend to analyze EVERYTHING. Some times this is a curse. Always looking for a better mousetrap. Many times I think the people that design things don't actually use them or they would have designed it differently. That's where I step in, with hopefully the better mousetrap. Such is the case with my step brace & my flag pole holders.
I couldn't make a living at it either but I get great satisfaction elevating a simple device to its greatest potential. Now, if I could only learn to type & spell.......

Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
go to the junk yard and find a small scissor jack . use it under the TOP step.

The other method is to measure (with the steps out, NOT folded)from the junction where the frame and floor meet to the edge of the top step. Cut a piece of pipe (?) this length. Now install a "T" on each end. In the one "T" make a cut across the "T" to match-up with the top of the back edge of the top step. Widen the cut to fit. When I had my older AS this is what I used.
I saw this here on the forum several years ago.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation A matter of cultural tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
R TRUN
You are not stupid. Like Bob it still takes me a mintue to figure it out and I have been doin it for 3 yrs now. Spray silicone will be the best to use. So dont feel bad,sometimes I have to stop and think about it even if I just operated the step yesterday.LOL. Just watch your fingers.
I don't have any trouble with ours at all. I just fumble around with other stuff, until my wife finally does it.

I have done it a few times, but I make sure no one is watching as I analyze it carefully, and then get it on the third or fourth try.

I understand now why in ancient cultures the women would set up camp while the men went off into the woods supposedly hunting.

Ken

I am thinking of getting a pair of Red Green suspenders so other campers will better understand my behavior.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I felt like I needed to take an advanced class in Origami to get it done correctly with any consistency, Wife now takes care of it when we are setting up.
John
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
bottom step stiffner

here are some pics of the wooden step support that i have made. it must be made to the correct length and there are some angles involved. it works really well, let me know if you need any help.

Name:	IMG_3145.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	642.4 KB
ID:	141506

Name:	IMG_3146.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	141507

Name:	IMG_3147.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	141508