Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Bent step housing...help.

Well, today I didn't take my wife's advise coming back from Borrego Springs weekend and chose a windy, not so wide, road home from Ramona...hit a rock while going slow around a tight corner, and bent the whole step housing back into the lower rear panel. This also broke the fasteners off on rear side of lower step when we tried to lower the entire assembly. 2014 FB FC model.

Question's:
1) should I take to dealer to fix? (Any idea on costs??)
2) should I remove myself and can I order on line a new assembly? (cost?)
3) should I remove and try to bang the panels straight and just get new fasteners on lower step? (resale issues??)

Any ideas and cost from you experienced fellow AS'ers is appreciated...(wife still not talking to me!)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Keep in mind it is all repairable, it's just metal. You might post a picture so some of the metal craftsmen in this Forum can give some advice.

Chances are good it will take some skilled folks to effect this repair. I'd want someone who had done it before. I think your Flying Cloud had the new style step system which might be a bit easier than the old Airstream design.

I hit a truck tire tread on the interstate. My tow vehicle kicked it up and it hit the Airstream banana wrap and proceeded to roll down the curb side of the trailer, banging up all the belly wraps along the way. I drove to Jackson Center for this $3000 body job and was quite pleased with the result. Those guys could make your Flying Cloud like new again.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote