RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
2021 Atlas Stairs stay down

Hi We have a 2021 Atlas that the stairs won't retract. Open door buzzer comes on. Stops after a while. Shut door. Stairs stay down. Toggle step hold switch on and off, no change. Checked all fuses in main fuse area as none labeled for steps. Any ideas?
wts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Low house batteries? What is your voltage?
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Plenty of juice, plus on shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Low house batteries? What is your voltage?
Old 12-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
Steps Problem

I have a 2020 Atlas, and although I've had no real problems I've tried to assemble some knowledge and tips just in case....
I don't know if this will help, but I've attached an explanation I had found for the steps. This attachment might not deal directly with your issue, but maybe the info about how the steps are attached might help to find the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atlas project 2000 step guide.pdf (988.6 KB, 9 views)
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Many thanks Binder. I was about to embark upon this when I lost access to undercabinets and the door won't lock. Guessing there are at least two problems 1) the pin, and 2) the contacts for the door don't seem to be lining up correctly. IF it warms up here in FL I may just take your VERY helpful guide out and give it a try as I already have the part. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
And it happens again! The steps were fixed and we drove to CA only to have them break again. Removal of broken shear pin is but an after thought in the directions and not easy. Airstream corporate no help...just go to a dealership. No I'm sorry you are 3000 miles from home and your stairs are stuck. No we will get someone to come fix. Nothing other than make an appointment with a dealership which we all know is weeks out. This is the worst customer experience I've ever had bar none. NOBODY steps on these stairs until buzzer stops Airstream in case you are reading this. There is no user error. Your $250k product is defective in ways that materially affects its usage. Your "warranty" is a waste as you provide no way to use that warranty within a timely period. This is gross negligence.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binther View Post
I have a 2020 Atlas, and although I've had no real problems I've tried to assemble some knowledge and tips just in case....
I don't know if this will help, but I've attached an explanation I had found for the steps. This attachment might not deal directly with your issue, but maybe the info about how the steps are attached might help to find the problem.
I don't own an Atlas just curious. That's a pretty nice write up.

Well done Binther

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
The write up was EXCELLENT and without it no go at all! I'm very sorry if it appeared I was criticizing that writeup. What does it say though that such a writeup became necessary to begin with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I don't own an Atlas just curious. That's a pretty nice write up.

Well done Binther

Gary
Old 01-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Just an FYI I spent several days reinforcing the outriggers for my trailers aluminum fold out steps. All hand made and now stout and strong. Should I have had to? Hindsight oh well.

Each system like my rigs electric stabilizers tongue jack and slide out all have mechanical backup systems.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Quote:
Just an FYI I spent several days reinforcing the outriggers for my trailers aluminum fold out steps. All hand made and now stout and strong. Should I have had to? Hindsight oh well.

Each system like my rigs electric stabilizers tongue jack and slide out all have mechanical backup systems.
My Atlas has less than 5k miles. Stairs never misused. Same shear pin failure which in my opinion is misalignment or bad design. Which is it?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #11
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
wts,

Not owning one never seen one in operation so this is a pre finished first cup of coffee SWAG.

Assuming procedures in manual to deploy and retract are followed.

If there is any way to operate the step system manually? If you can then does it feel like you are fighting a bind in it somewhere? Friction has always been a keep it in mind diagnostic element for stuff like this. The motor shaft should be nicely aligned to the step drive, it's not a real U-Joint power connection. Is there a lock that must pre-release to allow deploy?

A bit of advanced inspection could also include measuring the actual current draw to deploy and extend. Specs, clueless here but it might be interesting.

Again ZERO hands on for your system so some of above may not apply or of course overlooking something.

Maybe later other owners can post additional comments. Is this design and system common to other RV's?

And I bet Binther with his hands on been there work is looking like your prime "guy" for more detailed info.

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
WTS - hate to hear about your steps problem. I got an extra pin and those instructions just in case, but I worry about leaving soon for an extended trip. I've noticed that my steps seem to travel up unevenly, so holding my breath. From all I read, the steps are a common problem that should have been addressed by now.

I've been trying to get the TSB181 done, and don't know if it's Airstream or the dealership (190 miles away), but the parts have been lost and I'm re-scheduled for the 3rd time since mid-December.
I have 3 car dealerships (Honda, Nissan, Dodge-Jeep) so I deal with plenty of complicated service issues, and can't imagine why the Airstream dealers have to schedule so far out, and don't seem to stock enough parts. The repairs themselves aren't that complicated and don't take so much diagnosis, but they originally wanted me to drop off the Atlas for "a week or two".
I hope you get things resolved quickly.
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
WTS - hate to hear about your steps problem. I got an extra pin and those instructions just in case, but I worry about leaving soon for an extended trip. I've noticed that my steps seem to travel up unevenly, so holding my breath. From all I read, the steps are a common problem that should have been addressed by now.

I've been trying to get the TSB181 done, and don't know if it's Airstream or the dealership (190 miles away), but the parts have been lost and I'm re-scheduled for the 3rd time since mid-December.
I have 3 car dealerships (Honda, Nissan, Dodge-Jeep) so I deal with plenty of complicated service issues, and can't imagine why the Airstream dealers have to schedule so far out, and don't seem to stock enough parts. The repairs themselves aren't that complicated and don't take so much diagnosis, but they originally wanted me to drop off the Atlas for "a week or two".
Hi Binther,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please don't hesitate to reach out for assistance by sending us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 01-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #14
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Yes, I brought extra pins per the great help on this forum. This happened first on Christmas (in FL) and then last week in CA. I believe the motor is not properly aligned with the collar shaft connected to the stairs. On Christmas I used the pin on the left of the stairs to hold them in place until airstream (thankfully already scheduled) fixed the next week. But then they broke again. It took a lot of trial and error to remove the pin. AS was of no help. A dealer here in Fairfield actually called back to offer some assistance but I had figured my way through it by then. I posted this on FB "my experiences over past 3 months have been with well meaning people but without the ability to resolve issues. Triage doesn't seem to be there. I would think the inability to enter my atlas from the side would be a big deal. For me, I would be horrified to learn my customer was on their back in the street fixing my failed product, whether under warranty or not. I would put the picture up in every single location with the comment that this doesn't happen. It is a blight, not a wart on a great brand. The Airstream Brand is being destroyed from within. And corporate, in my experience, doesn't see it."

Here they even missed it was me having the problem.

Quote:

Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #15
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Thank you. The design behind these is common - shear pin use common - hence my belief this is an assembly issue.
Quote:
wts,

Not owning one never seen one in operation so this is a pre finished first cup of coffee SWAG.

Assuming procedures in manual to deploy and retract are followed.

If there is any way to operate the step system manually? If you can then does it feel like you are fighting a bind in it somewhere? Friction has always been a keep it in mind diagnostic element for stuff like this. The motor shaft should be nicely aligned to the step drive, it's not a real U-Joint power connection. Is there a lock that must pre-release to allow deploy?

A bit of advanced inspection could also include measuring the actual current draw to deploy and extend. Specs, clueless here but it might be interesting.

Again ZERO hands on for your system so some of above may not apply or of course overlooking something.

Maybe later other owners can post additional comments. Is this design and system common to other RV's?

And I bet Binther with his hands on been there work is looking like your prime "guy" for more detailed info.

Gary
Old 01-21-2021, 05:16 AM   #16
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
wts,

Not having seen one no clue but is there a chance for a different type coupling, one that has a better flex component? I randomly chose 1/2" for search but many sizes listed in their catalog.

Gary

https://www.mcmaster.com/flexible-sh...-diameter~1-2/
S/OS #001
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #17
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Thanks Gary. I too believe there are solutions other than me*getting under the Atlas to change the pin while under warranty. In this case, with it being a brand new vehicle I don't think I should be doing their quality control. Out of warranty it's on me.