Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
What is this trim called?

Hello, I am wanting to replace the brown rubber trim just above the silver trim, can someone please tell me the name so i can look for it. Oh and one more thing, where can i find parts for a 1963 safari airstream, seems like everywhere i go they start from 1964 or 1966 and up.
Please if you know of a place let me know. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	369077  
garciacag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

It does not look Airstream...our '63 Safari had no such molding.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	99A9280D-1911-4809-BF83-13DB62BDAAAB_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	369080   Click image for larger version

Name:	E99A9224-A267-488E-A3C6-E2D1D38D3D85_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	369081  

Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciacag View Post
Hello, I am wanting to replace the brown rubber trim just above the silver trim, can someone please tell me the name so i can look for it. Oh and one more thing, where can i find parts for a 1963 safari airstream, seems like everywhere i go they start from 1964 or 1966 and up.
Please if you know of a place let me know. Thank you in advance.
That's a non-OEM part, a previous owner modification.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Hello Robert Cross, the picture you have is the front trim, which is different from the back. As you can see in the next picture of my front part of the trailer my trim looks just like yours. Now the back trim is different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	369203  
Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Overlander63, thank you for your response, i guess we can just pull it out since it might not even belong there. Thank you for taking the time to response to my question.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Non-OEM Moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciacag View Post
Overlander63, thank you for your response, i guess we can just pull it out since it might not even belong there. Thank you for taking the time to response to my question.
garciacag, I think that this Orange moulding was a previous owners way of dealing with a leaky beltline trim strip. If you remove the aluminum beltline by drilling out the pop rivets that secure it to your coach you will find the seam between the aluminum side panels and the belly (banana wraps) skins that help with water intrusion at that seam. Once removed you can get that orange colored plastic moulding off the trailer and re-install the beltline trim strips. To do this the best way I would recommend using Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. It is available from most boat supply shops or Marine dealers. Use it to seal the seams between the Aluminum side panels and banana wraps. It can also help seal any riveted seams! Just keep applying it until it no longer draws itself into the seams, then caulk the seams as you normally would. When you re-attach the beltline trim use the same process after the pop rivets are installed (butter each rivet hole with caulk and each pop rivet as you re-install them) then use the Captain Tolleys on the upper edge of the trim strip and finally caulk the upper edge of the aluminum trim strip. The last thing to get the original look back to the trim is to install Airstream Blue insert trim stripe (nosing I think it is called) into the trim strip. If done this way this should insure that you will eliminate a area where water can get to your sub-floor plywood and cause lots of damage that is hard to find until it is too late! Hope this helps, Ed

Edit..... Pop rivets should be used on the beltline trim aluminum as the fit flatter than Olympic rivets do in this area. BUT.... Be sure to use Captain Tolleys and caulk on the hole where the pop rivet pin come thru the rivet to seal that hole too! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote