Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #1

Huntington, WV
the best way to remove the blue strip

I finally purchases a 19ft Globetrotter 1971, I would like to remove the blue strip and get the mirrory look all around - what the best way to do this
KingKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the Forum KingKaos!

Quote:
...and get the mirrory look all around
You may want to check out the "Finally got started" thread for lots & lots of polishing tips....

I'm not familiar with the "blue stripe" on a '71...is it paint or tape?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile 71 Blue Stripe

Ours is a plastic strip which is almost all gone but the pieces of plastic are still present underneath each rivet edge. One fellow mentioned to me to briefly heat each
rivet area with a torch then brush the ash of the plastic
away to remove all residue. I have not yet tried it, but do plan to redo the stripe in the future.
j&jsoldsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
One fellow mentioned to me to briefly heat each
rivet area with a torch then brush the ash of the plastic
away to remove all residue. I have not yet tried it,
Hmmm...don't think I'd try that, would risk scorching the aluminum. What about a solvent that melts the plastic? But then you'll have a gap between the rivet & the skin...seems like the way to "do it right" would be to drill out the rivets & replace them with a dap of Vulkem & a new rivet when you repalce the strip.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
King,

I hope it's not too late...BUT...I just saw your inquiry...

I just got through with replacing the stripe on my Airstream...By the time you get through,...you finally get it fiqured out on what works best.....Here's the deal..

1. Solvents/Strippers.....Don't Work !

2. Don't use a torch,...but get a heat-gun , and apply just enough heat to soften the plastic tape in 5-6 inch increments. Eventually you will learn and develop a system of heating just right, that allows you to peel the tape off,...sometimes in big pieces 5-6 inches at a time. It's kinda tough on finger-tips,..it gets hot sometimes,...but it works pretty well, and allows the adhesive to come off also.

3. This method works for the wide-tape only.

4. If you need to remove "Pin-Stripes",....what you'll need to get...is called an "Eraser Wheel". It's a wheel made up of what seems to be pencil eraser-type material , and fits into your electric drill. ( A Battery Drill just won't last very long on a charge,..been there, done that,..it's just too much friction, and it'll drain the battery real quick)

You can find these wheels at most any auto/body paint supply store.
That's what the Auto-Body people use to remove pin-stripes. It works very well, But it is VERY messy. That eraser stuff gets all over everything ! Of course you just dust it off.

If you deside to go back with any striping....I finally fiqured out a secret of how to apply that too,....just before I got through....

I guess that's how it goes though.....Removing or replacing that tape after it starts looking bad,.....sure makes a BIG difference in all your efforts...

Rick
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I have a 1988 Excella and am also thing about removing the blue strip, only because it has peeled off in areas. Has anyone tried a pressure washer? And if so then do I need to get the adhesive off with a 'product" ?
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Milehigh

Rick,
Where did you get your replacement vinyl stripe?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
Re: Replacement Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Rick,
Where did you get your replacement vinyl stripe?
Hi, David....

I've been on a long vacation, and just got back in.....I hope this is still timely.

I ordered the tape through an automotive paint and body supplier. They're the ones that supply materials to Auto Body Shops, etc. They had selection sheets from 3-M and others. ALOT of Colors and widths are availble.

I did'nt go back and make it origional,...the pattern seemed alittle "Dated" to me,...I changed it up somewhat, and I am very pleased...

Rick
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

1996 34' Excella
Scottsdale , Arizona
Help in removing stripe

want to replace the top most pin stripes on 96 excella. Got the 1/2 and 1 inch ones made by Sharpeline. The color matchs are almost exact, if not exact, to factory colors and 80% less than ordering from Airstream Dealer. They are metalic blue, 1/2 inch was $34 for 150 feet, and $60 for the 1 inch. Only problem is removing old. It is realy fried and baked on, cracked, with no color and feels like sand paper. Heat, goo gone, 3M eraser, decal remover no help. Anyone tried the airplane vinyl remover, and aircraft paint remover? slightly abrasive wheels? 3M spray remover?
R.Wood
Scottsdale
Kayak38@cox.net
Scotts Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

You might like to try this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...tml#post821339

Nick
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Pressure washer on blue stripe

This past weekend I used a pressure washer to remove the blue stripe on my 1988 Excella. It removed the blue vinyl quite easily but the adhesive is still in place. Still working on that portion of the work. It is not tacky so I may just leave it in place.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question I am removing the blue STRIP on my 1994 Airstream and once removed and clean the finish is orange?? Why and how do I get the good finsh to look the same ??? Help
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote