Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Tell me about Nyalic clearcoat

I have somehow just heard of Nyalic even though I have been puttering around this site for a while. I have a 1969 Safari with a mostly intact clearcoat but a few scratches here and there as well as the usual dinged and pitted front panel. I am wondering if I could use this Nyalic as a refresher coat without stripping?

In the videos I watched on their website they seem to spray directly over a really crappy looking, failing bus hood and it looks great at the end.

Is this for real, how does it hold up?
What have your experiences been with the product?
Is it only a spray on product or can it be brushed or rolled on as well?

So many questions, so little time...

Nyalic®
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A few others have used the Nyalic... I am a novice.

The 'kit' comes with necessary prep info, procedure and product for numerous 'repairs'.

Our AS had the "Wally Bynum" sticker on the front top curved section which was totally fused to the 'coating' of the aluminum. I managed to remove it.. but the aluminum was a different color from the areas still 'protected'. I tried to 'prep' in various ways on a small spot.. without much success getting it to 'match' the surrounding.

The good side is that the oxidation has halted!

I will be doing other 'spots' of filiform corrosion this summer.

The history is the Nyalic is a plastic spray, designed for sealing of all exterior of the early US space capsule penetration points (wiring, tubing, etc).. and yes, it is holding up quite nicely.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ml#post1450224

Just saw your post. Try this page for a start. Much more in the thread: corrosion with the new airstreams.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Oh, I got some to play with already. I love it. A friend of mine works at a local boat supply place and he gave me a small Nyalic starter kit. That little kit has been plenty enough for me to do the small areas I was wanting to get a protective clear coat on. I've done the new replacement panel on my hot water heater, all my refinished belly pan trim and my new oh so awesome back bumper flashing a friend made for keeping water away from the back floor and one access panel just to see how it looked. I am pretty impressed with it.

I have just been applying it with cheap foam brushes and it flows out nice and smoothly. The one thing I did read in the Nyalic pamphlet is how your rig looks when it is wet is how it will look when Nyalic is applied your exsisting clear coat(if you have any) I have what looks like water spots trapped in my old plasticoat that I can't get rid of so I have not bothered with doing the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443457730237.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	249210   Click image for larger version

Name:	1443457752397.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	249211  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1443457758534.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	249212  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Has any body used Nyalic on Older AS that clear coat is sun burned [blochty] without any removal or polishing?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Has any body used Nyalic on Older AS that clear coat is sun burned [blochty] without any removal or polishing?
Our 1999 has some spots.. as you have some 'deterioration' from beneath the original coating, there will be 'some' damage... can't undo that without a deep polish.

But, the Nyalic will halt the progression.. so far.. a couple of years, full sun, no issues..
Old 09-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Good heavens, your 99's got thin spots already, I guess I shouldn't be whining about my 69 getting a bit thin in some areas...
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Good heavens, your 99's got thin spots already, I guess I shouldn't be whining about my 69 getting a bit thin in some areas...
Once exposed to the sun, the original clearcoat (plasticote), had a life of about 5 to 7 years.

The sun's UV was the culprit.

The UV broke down the paint to the point of many times, being just a powder.

Painting over dead paint is not a good idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Yup... I have a 'sunny spot' where I need to remove peeling trim using your recommendations... will try to capture pics...

One thing I noticed and need to address.. the Nyalic seems more 'grabby' as you run hand over it compared to the stock coating.

I think perhaps, a light waxing would resolve.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Yup... I have a 'sunny spot' where I need to remove peeling trim using your recommendations... will try to capture pics...

One thing I noticed and need to address.. the Nyalic seems more 'grabby' as you run hand over it compared to the stock coating.

I think perhaps, a light waxing would resolve.

Wax or a polymer polish will. Nyalic being a polymer is softer and will not feel slick like lacquer, for example. On a high use area, like the boarding handle, it may get scratched. But no problem as a touch up is easy and unseen.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote