Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2003, 09:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Silver Paint vs Clearcoating the Finish

My '76 has oxidation on the roof that's starting to extend down the sides. (see curbside pix in my photo album)

first of all, I didn't buy this AS for a full restoration. (that one is in our future though!) This Sovereign is destined to be a home for my hunting camp, little else. So, I'm trying to do the right things with regard to time and $$ spent refurbishing and maintaining her. Heck, the main reasons I bought this AS (besides the fact that I've always wanted one) were the great price and the fact that I shouldn't have to worry about constant exterior maintenance.

What would you do?? What's the best way to make this old beauty look presentable again and also help keep her that way??

First, I guess I need to see if there is any clear coat left on the roof that might polish out. (kind of doubt it!) If cleaner wax works to clean up the roof clear coat, then I think I can live with the condition of the rest of the body. But what if the clear coat on top is totally gone and this is actual aluminum oxidation? Does this mean I should strip All of the remaining clear coat and face a life of constant polishing and sealing?

I remember seeing pix of a Sovereign that was painted silver on top to match the rest of the clear coated body. At first glance, this seems like something that would be perfect for my needs. It would protect what receives the most weather abuse without needing to strip&polish or paint the rest of the exterior. Is this feasible? Is there a product out there that I can apply myself?

Lots of questions, I know. But I want to make sure that I don't make it worse!! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your input!!

(It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just brutally honest about my lack of desire to do most things strenuous!!)
Old 01-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Make that Exterior Finish(es)!!

Oops, I guess my Freudian Slip is showing!!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If it is the oxidation of the skin that worries you, don't let it. The oxidation actually protects the alumimum underneath and it will only get so bad then stop. The old vintage units that look dull and grey are just oxidized. Besides you don't want a big shiney trailer scaring away the game!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Yes, I was primarily concerned about the oxidation getting out of control and ultimately damaging the skin. In the end, long-term preservation is really my ultimate goal...

However, the two-tone dull and semi-shiny look really needs to go! I know it's probably a judgment call, but would you say then that I should go ahead and strip the rest of the clear coat and let everything oxidize? (As you can imagine the remaining CC is not in great shape either!)

My thought now is, that if I can brighten the top through some cleaning/polishing, and strip off the remaining clear coat then I can start down the path of more even-looking oxidation. Does this sound feasible? Am I obsessing? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks again!!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Question Is this true

Brett,

Could you please explain to us "metal challanged" folks how oxidation actually protects the alumimum?

This is the 1st I heard of this.

Tks-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
In my experience with old airplanes - oxidation does not protect aluminum skin - it continues to deteriorate until the metal is seriously weakened or destroyed. Protection using paint, zinc-chromate primer, or continuous polishing and waxing is needed. Keeping the metal dry (both rain and condensation) will go a long way towards longevity.

I plan on building a pole barn on my cabin property to store my new Airstream, and other stuff, hopefully this summer.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Painting it silver

A couple of years ago I went to see a Restored B-17 that tours the country called "Aluminum Overcast"

EAA's B-17 - Aluminum Overcast

It is awesome, and for $350 you can actually fly in her. Unfortunately they are booked way in advance so I only went through on the ground.

Anyway, I had to get within 20-30 feet before I realized it wasnt bare aluminum. They had painted it ( I assume to minimize the incredible maintenance that a polished finish would require). Upon close inspection it was a silver with a very very fine metallic flake. More silver than metallic if that makes any sense. Closest Ive seen to appearing like bare aluminum. On older more vintage "restored" airstreams, I dunno.... "faking it" doesnt seem right, but if I were on the road a lot with a more modern trailer I would definetly consider it. Here (if I manage to make it work) is a photo of the tail
Attached Images

amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's pretty interesting. I think the A/S have a plastic coating on the sheetmetal.

I think you'd have to strip the A/S down before attempting it.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Take a look at the Argosy on www.gmccoop.com he painted the usual beige colored motorhome with silver metallic. Looks just like the airstreams. I just repainted my window frames( 2 so far) wit aluminum paint instead of the pewter grey they had on them. It looks great from a few feet away. I hope to shine it up a bit after it is dried well enough to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glamour_pat_side.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1681  
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
COMMERCIAL VENDOR

O'Fallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1101
My '76 has oxidation on the roof that's starting to extend down the sides. (see curbside pix in my photo album)

first of all, I didn't buy this AS for a full restoration. (that one is in our future though!) This Sovereign is destined to be a home for my hunting camp, little else. So, I'm trying to do the right things with regard to time and $$ spent refurbishing and maintaining her. Heck, the main reasons I bought this AS (besides the fact that I've always wanted one) were the great price and the fact that I shouldn't have to worry about constant exterior maintenance.

her thatWhat would you do?? What's the best way to make this old beauty look presentable again and also help keep way??

First, I guess I need to see if there is any clear coat left on the roof that might polish out. (kind of doubt it!) If cleaner wax works to clean up the roof clear coat, then I think I can live with the condition of the rest of the body. But what if the clear coat on top is totally gone and this is actual aluminum oxidation? Does this mean I should strip All of the remaining clear coat and face a life of constant polishing and sealing?

I remember seeing pix of a Sovereign that was painted silver on top to match the rest of the clear coated body. At first glance, this seems like something that would be perfect for my needs. It would protect what receives the most weather abuse without needing to strip&polish or paint the rest of the exterior. Is this feasible? Is there a product out there that I can apply myself?

Lots of questions, I know. But I want to make sure that I don't make it worse!! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your input!!

(It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just brutally honest about my lack of desire to do most things strenuous!!)
Hey there Jason,
To answer your question, "What' the best way to make this old beauty look presentable and keep it that way",
I've had customers that had us strip their old clear coat, then either acid wash (this will leave it a uniform off white) and seal it, or acid wash then polish the surface. But in either event, after they get the finish they want, we put a couple of coats of Sharkhide on and that seals it. I don't know what your expectations are for a sealant to last, but we normally get around five years (+ or - a year) out of an application.
I hope this helps a bit.
Clint
618-624-4091
WWW.SHARKHIDE.COM
t_birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Paint Works

This is a picture of a painted trailer that was painted with silver paint.

Looks good, and just wax a couple of times a year.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Jason,

At the Auto Zone here there is a chrome spray that looked uanbelievably natural when we sprayed the heater door on our Sovereign. It looks so good that it's hard to tell it was painted.

Good luck,

Gloria & Don
WBCCI 7287
72 Sovereign
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
t_birder,

Welcome to the forums. You are responding to a post that was made 5 years ago, so I don't know if the original poster will see it.

Tell us more about your product. Is it a clearcoat? How is it applied? Will it stop corrision? Does it smell like fish?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
COMMERCIAL VENDOR

O'Fallon , Illinois
Sharkhide Metal Protectant

Hello there,
Five years ya say, well, I'm not too embarrased. As you've noticed by now, no detail escapes me.
I guess I'll pretend I didn't reply to a five year old post and answer your questions.
Yes Sharkhide is a clear coat. It can be wiped on (thats my method of choice), or sprayed. It does stop corrosion on any metal surface it's applied to. Primarily I send it into the Marine Industry, but I've had several folks with Air streams an Argossy's use it to protect their trailers. that's how I heard about this forum. For the aluminum boats, it's used to stop streaks and stains from water exposer, and those pesky white corrosion spots from either salt water, or in your case salty road spray.
Sorry to say no fish oder, but it does have a very pleasant solvent smell!
I'll pay more attention before I post again, LOL.
Clint
618-624-4091
WWW.SHARKHIDE.COM
t_birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Clint, please DO post again!

Here is a thread that concerns corrosion issues that several members are having. If you have a solution to repairing and inhibiting corrosion, I'm sure there would be a LOT of interest in that.

You should sign up as a commercial vendor if you haven't yet.

Do you have a storefront in O'fallon? I'm in Highland.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 01-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I am faced with the same problem. My 77/31 has blotchy clear coat. I am not going to polish it because I am lazy. I am to lazy to polish the first time and definitely don't want to maintain it later. My thoughts are to strip the clear coat and let it whether naturally. The other thought is to have it painted. I was told that the paint runs about 8000.00 to prep the surface, remove and replace all the lights gaskets and door and window seals. This process is expensive but it would seal the exterior and transform the appearance. Airstream actually painted them for one or two years from the factory. I have seen one and I think it was about 20 years old and it looked great. I saw a silver painted Argosy at the Can opener and it looked great! I think I would use the Emeron epoxy paint for its flexibility and longevity. I don't know if I am ready to embrace the 8000.00 but I would rather spend 8000.00 on the paint and new seals than to spend a similar amount for polishing that will require more polishing!

Any thoughts on leaving it striped?
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Forum member Bob Thompson did an excellent job of documenting his paint job in this thread.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hi I have the exact same problem, "snow on the roof" I am not preprared to strip the unit yet, so besides painting it, is there a fix
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
I hate to say it, but no one else has yet. Anything worth doing is worth doing right! And that means it might not be easy.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hi Clint!

Did you realize both you and soldiermedic, who posted just below your initial response to this thread, are from O'Fallon, just in different states???

One of those odd coincidences...

And look at Steve showing off his new trailer!

Susan

Edit: I see you looking, Vaughan!

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote