Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Segment protector damage?

I folded back my segment protectors to wash today and found this. Is this filiform corrosion? It appears the segment protector rubs against the body of the AS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3381.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	372976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3382.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	372977
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Does your protector have a dent in it? It looks like some electrolysis might have occurred between the 2 surfaces. Is you trailer parked close to the ocean? Salt mixed with moisture helps speed up the electrolysis process. The dark color is a strange one, which looks like a contaminant got in there or the 3M film is stained.

The Sport didn't come with the protectors so the dealer would have added them afterwards.

When you opened this up, was something trapped in the protector that was touching both surfaces or just rubbing?

You might want to try some gentle automotive wax to see if it will come out with a little buffing. If not, then it might be stained which would require changing the 3M film.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Does your protector have a dent in it? It looks like some electrolysis might have occurred between the 2 surfaces. Is you trailer parked close to the ocean? Salt mixed with moisture helps speed up the electrolysis process. The dark color is a strange one, which looks like a contaminant got in there or the 3M film is stained.

The Sport didn't come with the protectors so the dealer would have added them afterwards.

When you opened this up, was something trapped in the protector that was touching both surfaces or just rubbing?

You might want to try some gentle automotive wax to see if it will come out with a little buffing. If not, then it might be stained which would require changing the 3M film.
Thanks. I am not in a salt air climate. Yes, I had my dealer install these when I purchased the 22 Sport. I was on the fence, and still am, about the need for them. I tow with a low SUV with standard tires, so the likelihood of large rocks hitting the front is low. And now I have a blemish because of the segment protectors.

When I opened them up, that one was touching. Nothing was jammed in there. I tightened the mounting bolts, which are held in place by a nut and a lock washer, and reattached. When I did, there was a little more standoff at that spot, but it is very close. The other side has a lot more clearance throughout.

I'll email these to my dealer and see what their thoughts are. I plan to Walburnize the trailer tomorrow so I'll see if I'm able to buff things out there as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I believe the installer mucked it up...done properly the segment protectors will NOT touch the AS.

You deserve some $$$ BACK.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Segment protector

Looks like ss segment protector was flattened during shipping to dealer and dealer just installed as is. Out of Doors Mart carries a spacer to insure the 2 pieces don't touch. I had a lower mount fail and it almost hole in rubbed a thClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	373038

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7068.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	373039e skin.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If no protector you will get rock dings no matter if tv is low or other precautions taken. Then becomes unsightly. I wish I had them when had front corner replaced at JC and had 3 large rock dents in new aluminum on way home then 6 more on trip to Iowa clear rds.? same panel. The aluminum IMO is lighter gauge and softer than used in 1976, as only 1 rock damage before on this panel in 42 yrs. [Road side, 3 curbside to present].
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Thanks, all. My dealer wants to see it in person. It definitely seems like they may have made a slight install error. Will report back once I get it to them.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
If no protector you will get rock dings no matter if tv is low or other precautions taken. Then becomes unsightly. I wish I had them when had front corner replaced at JC and had 3 large rock dents in new aluminum on way home then 6 more on trip to Iowa clear rds.? same panel. The aluminum IMO is lighter gauge and softer than used in 1976, as only 1 rock damage before on this panel in 42 yrs. [Road side, 3 curbside to present].
I was thinking about getting some but I didn't want to add the weight to the tongue. I think the dealer said they would add 100 lbs?? That does seem a bit heavy for sheet metal.

Ohmman, do you think these are really heavy? Have you checked your tongue weight recently 9hopefully with no fresh water onboard as a comparison?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
I bet ours are less than 15Lb each.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I was thinking about getting some but I didn't want to add the weight to the tongue. I think the dealer said they would add 100 lbs?? That does seem a bit heavy for sheet metal.

Ohmman, do you think these are really heavy? Have you checked your tongue weight recently 9hopefully with no fresh water onboard as a comparison?

I was told that for my 22 Sport, they were 70 lbs all-in. That seems about right - with mounting hardware and trim they’re probably closing in on 35 lbs. Maybe slightly less.

I haven’t measured it, though.