Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Sealing belt-line trim?

Since I've essentially hot-dipped my entire Airstream in sealant, I am wondering what to do with the belt-line trim. I can't really tell if it is possible for water to get into the trailer by getting under the trim, as that is one of the few parts of the trailer I haven't removed.

Should I run a bead of sealant all the way around the top of the belt-line trim or am I wasting my time? I am also worried water will get in there and freeze and push the trim out. There are small gaps in many places already.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Since I've essentially hot-dipped my entire Airstream in sealant, I am wondering what to do with the belt-line trim. I can't really tell if it is possible for water to get into the trailer by getting under the trim, as that is one of the few parts of the trailer I haven't removed.

Should I run a bead of sealant all the way around the top of the belt-line trim or am I wasting my time? I am also worried water will get in there and freeze and push the trim out. There are small gaps in many places already.
The belt line trim (moldings) don't leak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I sealed mine with a small thin bead along the top edge. FWIW I also put a bead behind it before reinstalling it. Belt and suspenders, feel sorry for the next poor soul that has to take it off.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
The aluminum piece that holds the trim is attached by rivets which has the potential to leak. I laid a bead of parbond on the top edge of mine. Whether it was needed, I don't know, but I sleep better knowing it is sealed.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Seal the top edge and leave the bottom open. There are areas where the wraps are on top of the body skin and that acts like a funnel if you get a leak in the belly band. I have been sealing the rivets with Parbond that attach the rivets. I sealed the top edge with Trempro-635.

That same type of trim on SOB trailers that goes over the top corners is usually the death of them. They ALL LEAK. Now in this application, I would at leak seal the top edge.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The belt molding didn't leak on my testing.

The #1 largest water intake I found on my trailer was the step release slot. In any rain, it directed (lots of) water into the belly pan. The original design provided a water intake, pink insulation, and a belly pan to keep the water inside. I had the floor wood removed over that area for a few weeks while I identified leaks and repaired damage, so I had good opportunity to observe what was happening. I installed screened drains in the belly pan, replaced the stinky pinky, installed aluminum bubble insulation elevated by aluminum screen, and coated the frame with POR-15.

I wouldn't call the step release slot a leak. It's a designed water intake.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I guess I should have been more exact, as now I am a bit confused with some answers... I mean to put a bead of seal between the skin and the belt line... Looking at it, I can see that the plastic trim sticks to the metal. I am not worried about the plastic part (yet)... Just the very first thing the water hits on its way down the skin.

From underneath, there is at least a 1/4 inch drop lip, which I don't want to seal unless there is some reason to. The gap is really big and it would take lots of goo.

Thanks.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

2005 28' International CCD
Tucson , AZ
Hello, Just curious how you solved this issue? I'm at the same place right now on my Airstream and asking the same questions. I'd especially like to know what you did about the rear bumper area. My International had really bad water damage there and I'm curious if I should remove the beltline and seal.
Thanks
John Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The sealing of the top isn't enough. Took me a long time to identify the leakClick image for larger version

Name:	20200807_152546.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	378726Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_152619.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	378728Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_152613.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	378729Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_140238.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	378730Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_140122.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	378731

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #10

2005 28' International CCD
Tucson , AZ
Yup, I think we're identical. I just pulled the banding off, good thing, there was just road dust under it, and very little sealant. Thanks!
John Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The actual leak were the screws which hold the bumper top fiberglass and corner plastic pieces to the c channel. Two were rusted so badly, they had narrowed and snapped off when I tried to remove them. Rust is your indicator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shea View Post
Yup, I think we're identical. I just pulled the banding off, good thing, there was just road dust under it, and very little sealant. Thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pic #1 is my sealing job. There was none from the factory
All.screws replaced with stainless.