Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2014 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Scrubby Pad Clear Coat Damage and Unusual Resolution

Thought some of you might enjoy our adventure:

We recently purchased a 2014 Classic. We drive almost half way across the country to go get it based on pictures published by the dealer. Pictures did not indicate the scratches and when we arrived you could see how the previous owner took some scratchy something to clean the skin above the sunglasses. See first attached picture. Just wrecked it. We decided to buy it anyway because I already had a planned solution (or was willing to live with it if my solution did not work!). So, this is an account of adopting and babying an abused Airstream.

During my investigation to fix a bird poop mark on the tow vehicle paint, I spend some time studying a very nice man on YouTube who has a channel for his business, Apex Auto Detail. Really, I had no idea how much time can be sucked away by YouTube. Crazy but I did learn a ton.

While watching Apex Auto Detail segments on “cutting” (removing scratches), I ran across another video about polishing a vehicle with the silver impregnated auto wax named Ag. It enhances the silver color and waxes the surface. It was recommended to be used with another product, T-22. Both products are from Anglewax. I had already used this as a scratch repair on my silver car and it worked perfectly. This was the plan for my Airstream scratch repair job.

My big issues was what cutting level of repair product to use (high, medium or low). After some surfing the web I found Gregg with Project Shine (Anglewax supplier). I described my project and he recommended the Angelwax “Redemption Ultra Fine Finishing Polish” for the scratches (lowest level of abrasion). There are more aggressive products but the most conservative was the choice. The reasoning was that you could complete a second pass if you don’t have enough repair.

The second picture shows the half the skin above the sunglasses with scratch removal and polish complete. If you look closely, you will note I should have taped off the letters to prevent the wax from turning the Airstream letters from blue trim to silver.

There is another whole chapter about the buffing tool and pads that are used for cutting but I will spare you the drama.

I am very happy with the results. Anglewax is some of the most luxurious wax I have ever used (and expensive). It goes on like butter. I will forever have to polish it with this product and keep it up but I should be waxed every six months anyway.

Hope this can help you in some way. OH! and wear gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Scratches.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	377756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Half Repaired 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	377761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wear Gloves.jpg