Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Scared to ask: SILICONE

Well I searched a little bit but couldn't find an answer. Why is silicone sealant bad to use on an airstream? I know I should know right?
It is definitely a bad word on this forum. Does it harm the aluminum?
Nothing worse than a bad caulk job on a camper, I know!
......but I found a page out of an airstream manual about sealing the curved windowsin my '68 they(airstream) said use SILICONE- Work it into the hinge and cracks.
I don't have a problem using something else (vulkem, parbond etc.)
but I will admit I have used A LITTLE silver GE Si#$@one around my tail lights and "thought" it looked great.....but.......just wondering?
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
The acetic acid in the silicone etches the aluminum. Does not always provide a good seal and the present of the silicone prevents anything else from creating a seal. The hinges for our windows are a different beast than the seams. Working the silicone into the window hinge is the preferred method.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Eventually all sealants begin to fail and need replacing. You haven't been to hell if you haven't tried to remove a bunch of old silicone.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
So just so I do it "right" Is there a list of what sealants are best and where?
Beltline
windows
vents
I know dicor is good stuff and it comes in gray, it looks like the stuff around my '93's vents??
I know you better maintain these areas, because my friends 2010 flying cloud is in the shop for leaks (3rd time) and a good bit of rotten floor-the first time they (warranty AS dealer) covered the rotten area under the dinette with diamond plate aluminum and said hear you go "fixed it"
It has leaked again and has rotted more- he bought the AS after years of throwing his money away on thrown-together box campers. I feel bad for him, he tried to do the right thing.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Vulkem/Trempro 636 for the large seams. Parbond for the smaller seams. I'm not familiar with Dicor.

These trailers need planned maintenance. Inspection and planned resealing depending on use, storage, environment. I'm in Missouri and my trailer is stored outside. The environment is different for you being in Jax. Salt water and different sun exposure are likely culprits for you.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
The acetic acid in the silicone etches the aluminum.
Well that is only in some types of silicone, GE silicone 1 has it but not GE silicone 2 or their silicone for flashing or the one for aluminum.

A big part of the problem is the misleading advertizing of companies that sell silicone. After all how can 1 company sell more then 50 different products that are all 100% pure silicone?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well that is only in some types of silicone, GE silicone 1 has it but not GE silicone 2 or their silicone for flashing or the one for aluminum.

A big part of the problem is the misleading advertizing of companies that sell silicone. After all how can 1 company sell more then 50 different products that are all 100% pure silicone?
The one I picked up is S II Metallic Grey, looks silver( I was in a bind, rain was pouring in around my tail light housings on my new metal frame.)
It says "for metal and aluminum" so I guess it doesn't have the acid?

Dicor seamseal grey is for rubber and metal it is self leveling and does not harden, I would only use it around roof vents. Used a lot on box camper roofs.

I have used vulkem, but not tempro- how does it perform and does it come in a grey/silver? I don't plan on using much of that S II, even though it seems "okay". thanks

My friends 2010 AS floor was rotten within 2 years of picking it up. (new)
You wouldn't think it would need re-sealing that quickly.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Our trailer is stored outside in GA. I have found that a two year reseal interval works well. I tried to go to three years and had a leak...yuck, but now I get to replace the carpet.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Trempro is a brand name for a Vulkem replacement product. There are different types of it (go by numbers). You want what Inland RV or VTS sells.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoldstuff View Post
......but I found a page out of an airstream manual about sealing the curved windowsin my '68 they(airstream) said use SILICONE- Work it into the hinge and cracks.
.......just wondering?
I think if you re-read this page in the manual you will find it is telling you to use liquid silicone lubricant (not caulk) to keep moving parts from sticking and gaskets flexible.