Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
Rub Rail, Rub Rail 'where art thou?'

In the process of trying to button up the exterior of the 72, I am in dire need of the old style rub rail. The rail that still needs to be painted blue on the inside lip. Yea, I am aware “they don’t make it any more”. (Famous last words for my pet project.) I don’t need much but; 10ft. might as well be 10 yards as far as the old stuff is concerned. I have exhausted all efforts on my part to purchase the old style rub rail. I have been looking for quite some time and need it before starting the interior part of the project. I have spent countless hours on the phone from Florida to Southern California. I found the old stuff at one outfit only to find out they don’t ship. Imagine that?? Found the new stuff at another vendor only to discover that shipping long sections is more than the cost of the rail itself. Something to do with the long shipping tubes that it must be shipped in. And lastly, one vendor I found it at took more than 6 weeks to get around to putting the deal together. I would call him twice a week for weeks on end. I am a patient guy but this just got to be a drag out for some goofy reason. After all, we aren’t trying to launch the shuttle here.
What to do? What to do?
I am hoping that someone out there in the Streamer universe may have upgraded and would be willing to part with their old. I have tried all of the leads I have discovered in the related threads. I would be more than happy to cover any and all costs associated with the much needed rub rail. I hate to replace the entire rub rail with the newer version as I don’t need the whole shootin match. It would seem a darn shame to throw all of the old away to upgrade to the new. I have run out of leads. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you all in advance for your help.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Can you post a pic of what you need?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Is anyone on the list close enough to the one vendor who wouldn't ship to be able to pick it up and ship it to you?

Just a thought from someone who has found all sorts of creative ways to get stuff home...

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Call Colaws RV Salvage in Carthage MO. I'll betcha an Enhanced Membership that they might have it...

Make sure you're asking for the right thing. Rub rail is the lower trim strip between the belly and the side panels. Beltline is the middle trim strip at chest height. Maybe take a photo next to a ruler & crop it if they'd improve your chances by having a photo sample -- if they take emails with attachments. But I'd call first and start up that relationship thing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Bob may have found the double-top-secret location of your trim. I bought a couple of items off a '72 from Colaws last year. If they still have that camper, I'll bet some of the trim is salvageable.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
I'll check w/ Colaw's and will also post a pic. Has to be tomorrow. At work right now. You know, company time and all. Ha, Ha. I'll let ya know.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Rub Rail for the 72

Oh well. Tried Colaw's and their return call was not promising. Spoke to a fella named Dwayne and he was not able to help me with the rub rail issue.
Tried to post a pic this a.m. camera batt. died. Once it is charged I will get the pic posted.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

If, and I said If all else fails, you can buy a paint pen at Walmart that is exactly the right color for this rail. We did this on our 69 Overlander. Looked really good. It isn't what you want but until you find it, it might be a solution for you. You can always apply the rail over it if you find it eventually.

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Rub rail search for the 72

I may have to break down and order new rub rail w/ endcaps to close off all ends. I will try and go to the nearest a.s. dealership this weekend and compare wheel well issues and the like. I plan to take some of the samples and see how everything will line up etc. Thought I would throw a few pics of the old rub rail in just in case someone still has a bit of this old lying stuff lying around somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rub rail pic 1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	579.9 KB
ID:	46925   Click image for larger version

Name:	rub rail pic 2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	46926  

Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Ten feet, eh?

Honestly - what is exact minimum length you need to restore the trim;

I can see in the above attachments the end is deformed somehow so there's another 1/2 inch required...

I copied your emblem photo from an earlier posting... It is the lower trim piece that is required? And at this point are you willing to concede having the paint match is wishful thinking?

And finally - are some ripples in it acceptable, and any thoughts on coiling the trim to fit in flat roll package for a maximum dimension normal shipping rate? I am pretty sure I can avoid creasing it - or I can chop it into 3'-10" pieces to get under the 4' max shipping length (or whatever) but at 10 foot length do you really want the pre-curved section in the back (easier to coil on my end)...

This would be the 1st piece off this old battle wagon. Still hoping to use it as an equipment shed on rural property...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972_Airstream_Pics_019copy.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	46931   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972_29_Bent.jpg
Views:	7789
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	46935  

Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Wabbiteer,
You are the Man! I am going to repaint all the belt trim and rub rail anyway. I can straighten most any mild crease out too. I don't believe I would be needing the curved, front, or rear sections. These would be in the order of a side piece or two. The lengths you described in your post "under the 4' max shipping length" would not be a problem for me. I will have to check on the exact sections needed. I have never been this close to getting it so, I am in a little shock. However, I will check for the exact length and get back to you a.s.a.p. I will be glad to compensate you for your time and materials. Thanking you in advance,
Radman.......
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
refering to the front piece makes me think you are interested in the lower rail, not either of the ones pictured...
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
The lower rub rail is correct. Today's pics are of the wider of the two trims. Not the belt line but the lower rub rail. The areas that run from the front of the wheel wells either fore or aft. I have all of the upper trim for both sides already. The pic of the two sections that I posted today may appear slightly more narrow than they actually are. They may look like the area near the logo but are a little wider. This may be partially due to camera angle.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman
In the process of trying to button up the exterior of the 72, I am in dire need of the old style rub rail. The rail that still needs to be painted blue on the inside lip. Yea, I am aware “they don’t make it any more”. (Famous last words for my pet project.) I don’t need much but; 10ft. might as well be 10 yards as far as the old stuff is concerned. I have exhausted all efforts on my part to purchase the old style rub rail. I have been looking for quite some time and need it before starting the interior part of the project. I have spent countless hours on the phone from Florida to Southern California. I found the old stuff at one outfit only to find out they don’t ship. Imagine that?? Found the new stuff at another vendor only to discover that shipping long sections is more than the cost of the rail itself. Something to do with the long shipping tubes that it must be shipped in. And lastly, one vendor I found it at took more than 6 weeks to get around to putting the deal together. I would call him twice a week for weeks on end. I am a patient guy but this just got to be a drag out for some goofy reason. After all, we aren’t trying to launch the shuttle here.
What to do? What to do?
I am hoping that someone out there in the Streamer universe may have upgraded and would be willing to part with their old. I have tried all of the leads I have discovered in the related threads. I would be more than happy to cover any and all costs associated with the much needed rub rail. I hate to replace the entire rub rail with the newer version as I don’t need the whole shootin match. It would seem a darn shame to throw all of the old away to upgrade to the new. I have run out of leads. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you all in advance for your help.
Would this be any help? The description has details of measure, including the middle channel for 1/2" vinyl insert. I'm looking for molding and rub rail, also, but for 1968 Trade Wind, to go around the joint between the external skin, wheel well, and belly pan. I'll post a picture soon.

G 141SL - Extruded Aluminum Edge Treatments - Brunner - aluminum channel, extruded aluminum angle, anodized aluminum shapes, aluminum pipe, bar, tube, square tubing connector,aluminum channel, extruded aluminum angle, anodized aluminum shapes, alumin
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Indy,
Thanks for the site. I had previously looked at their product and wasn't sure if it would work for me, so I passed. My needs have been met as far as rub rail is concerned. Thanks anyway. You might try a place in Alabama called Montevallo campground and RV service. They are really slow but may be able to help you. If I remember the guy's name was Sonny. Albeit, I had a little trouble understanding them, I think they have parts. # 205 665-2531 Best of luck in your journey.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #16
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Thanks for the tip, Radman.

I think I will be able to handle the accent; I'm from about 125 miles north of there!

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Call Colaws RV Salvage in Carthage MO. I'll betcha an Enhanced Membership that they might have it...

Make sure you're asking for the right thing. Rub rail is the lower trim strip between the belly and the side panels. Beltline is the middle trim strip at chest height. Maybe take a photo next to a ruler & crop it if they'd improve your chances by having a photo sample -- if they take emails with attachments. But I'd call first and start up that relationship thing.
Hi Bob;
Colaws has acknowledged receipt of my E-mail and assigned a person to handle my request. This was 6 weeks ago and I have yet to hear from him. I am not the one to push my dollar into someone's pocket by force, but response from the business is the least I expect. In my business I return all calls regardless if I can, or cannot help the customer. Fortunately, there are others like me who at least offer you common courtesy to reply to a request. I would rather make the part from scratch, than be ignored by outfit like Colaws. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Boatdoc, catching up on reading some subscribed threads and ran across this one.

I've dealt with Colaws a couple of times and been very happy with the service. Like Bob suggested, I called first, then emailed picutres of the items I needed. I got all of the proper items very quickly with very courteous service. I don't know why Colaws dropped the ball on your order, stuff happens sometimes. I'd give them a second try. Good luck with it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #19
PK

2002 25' Safari
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
What to do? What to do?
I am tearing off old 1" blue rub rail. It is not in great condition. But if all you need is ten feet I think I might have what you are looking for. What are you willing to pay for it? I got the new rub rail and I'm tearing off the old. I will try to carefully tear it off if you are interested in it. Let me know.