Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
restoring vintage license plates

Hey Streamers,

Anyone know where I can get some emerald green reflective paint to restore my liscence plate. (See my new Avatar)

I found this nailed to the side of a barn. If I am lucky NM will let me use this plate as my official plate. I have never seen a green NM plate before. This is a RV plate. All NM standard plates I have ever seen are yellow with red letters. NM does not otherwise permit any special plates on trailers
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
That looks like "standard" green highway sign paint. If you know anyone at your city or county maintenance yard, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Or even give you a small amount. Just an idea...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have run across folks in the antique motorcycle group that restore vintage license plates.

you might try contacting someone like that through ebay and see what they use. there are quite a few collectors of vintage plates that sell there.

most vintage plates i have seen were not reflective as they are nowadays. the highway shop idea might work too.

john
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I think I need to check with the BC Ministry and see if I can use my 1951 Trailer plate I acquired at a flea market a couple of years ago. It would be easy enough to restore to original and as you have determined, it would really be trick to have it on the trailer. Great idea, thanks for bringing it up.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Hey Streamers,

Anyone know where I can get some emerald green reflective paint to restore my liscence plate.
Hey Hippy,

Cool plate.

Check out ALPCA Online - Automobile License Plate Collectors Association for a list of license plate restorers. Look under FAQs.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Krylon makes a clear reflective coating..

If you can find the right color green for the base coat, Krylon makes a clear reflective spray paint that gives it the "highway sign at night.." look. May have to special order it at local hardware, and doubt big box stores would carry it... Paint pad would work for second color on raised letters if needd, rather than brush or rollers.

CA lets you use old plates from year of manufacture, so long as they have clear history and are consistent with original coloring and condition...

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Just as we seem to be nuts about aluminum trailers, there's a whole network of folks that are license plate collectors.

I’ve had antique Year of Manufacture plates restored for use on my Model A, 57 VW and Indian motorcycles.

Try Darryl’s plate restoration. He has correct paint for just about any plate. LICENSE PLATE RESTORATION SERVICE

ALPCA, the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association has a list of restorers and a whole website of license plate info. Check: http://www.alpca.org/faq.restorers.html.

Nice NM plate.

Walter

If the enemy is in range...so ar
e you!
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just found out the "H" designates House Trailer.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

This is very cool stuff. You can spray it onto almost anything!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

A trick for restoring the lettering on old plates. Paint the letters thickly first, with several coats and adequate drying for each. Then paint the entire plate letters and all. Then after the topcoat has cured sufficiently, use very fine wet sandpaper, 1000 grit or finer, to get the topcoat off the letters. I read about this a long time ago, and though I haven't personally tried it, I have seen more than my fair share of shaky-handed attempts to paint the letters themselves. The results can look like a kid with a bingo dauber. Something to think about, for those of us without ultra-steady hands.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote