Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Removing anodized/satin surface

I have read on several posts that oven cleaner will remove the anodized/satin surface treatment on aluminum. I applied a heavy layer of oven cleaner on the aluminum arms of the awning and left it on for over 4 hours. They still have the satin look. Will anything else take the anodized/satin surface off of aluminum parts?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is a ceramic coating and not much will touch it. You will have to grind it off. Why don't you want it there? It is a low maintenance finish that is wear and corrosion resistant. Are you wanting to polish the arms?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
yeah, I was polishing my trailer, and started the arms. It's about twice the work of the rest of the trailer, but it will polish up. The oven cleaner did nothing for me either. I am using the buffing wheel and bars method, and that works on the arms.

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I have read on several posts that oven cleaner will remove the anodized/satin surface treatment on aluminum. I applied a heavy layer of oven cleaner on the aluminum arms of the awning and left it on for over 4 hours. They still have the satin look. Will anything else take the anodized/satin surface off of aluminum parts?
Anodized aluminum, is made by chemically changing the surface to a different material, if you wish.

The surface of the anodized aluminum, is also an electrical insulator, in that it will not pass electricity.

Anodizing is done by submerging the metal into a temperature controlled vat of sulfuric acid, and running a DC currect thru the plate, for about 45 minutes as I recall. Then the metal is subjected to a "sealing process" by submerging it into a very hot oil bath for a period of time.

The only way an anodized surface of aluminum can be removed is by some tremendous sanding, to totally removed that insulated surface.

If you take a strip of anodized aluminum and bend it next to your ear, you will hear a cracking sound, which is coming from the surface cracking, which you cannot see with the naked eye.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Perry - I am transplanting the awnings from a 1991 AS to my 1976 AS. The PO had taken the awnings off and stored them. (It appears that whoever removed the awnings did not know that there was a spring inside. The stainless shaft at the spring end actually broke. There are other areas that were damaged as well. I suspect someone got hurt.) While in storage they became scratched. Since they were anodized I was hoping that removing the surface treatment would give them a more uniform appearance.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote