Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #1

1987 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Question Redo Clearcoat

Sorry to have to ask this for the 1000th time, but we're just getting started.

We have an '87 25foot model that has come to the point of needing the clearcoat redone. I have been told that the only folks that really know what they are doing is the bunch in Helena, OH. If that is correct I want to try and get an appointment in mid-June while my wife is at a conference in Columbus, OH.

What am I getting into, and what do I need to know before I pick up the phone?

Thanks,

Ralph Shuey
Huntsville, AL
czkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hi Ralph,
I don't know if you could say they're the only one but..They do come highly recommended..
What are you getting into?
Depends on the condition of your unit's skin and, how much prep work has to be done before the clearcoating is applied.
It's gonna be expensive as you may well know and, then there's the life of the new coating.
It could be anywhere from 2 to 5 years before you're right back to where you are now when you started. Sorry to report that..
Good luck~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #3

1987 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Hmmmmmmm

The trailer has it's original clearcoat, and I guess I'd have to say that for almost 20 years, it looks pretty fair. The new coatings are only good for 3-5 years????

What other options exist?

Ralph
czkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Abt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by czkid
The trailer has it's original clearcoat, and I guess I'd have to say that for almost 20 years, it looks pretty fair. The new coatings are only good for 3-5 years????

What other options exist?

Ralph
Hello ~
Ralph, if you haven't called the "bros", you should~ Last time I talked to them it was, like 4000$ for my 29' and no guarantees that it would last beyond a certain specified time frame. Which they can spell out for you.
Alot of us have just opted to polish it.. One gent down in TX painted his back a few years ago and, it turned out fantastic~! Not that you should or want to do that~!
Lastly, you chose to just ignore it and enjoy the use of it while you have it..(Let the next owner worry about it..lol)
To be honest, it's not gonna hurt anything the way it is..As you know, it's just cosmetics..(lol, I hated it and...couldn't put it out of my mind till I ended up polishing it.. )
good luck~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote