Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #1

Painting a 1977 26ft. Argosy!

First time greetings from the Great White North!

I am an "Airstream virgin" and trying to get into the game. Looking at a 1977 26ft. Argosy. The exterior is in great shape. However, the colour is a creamy pinkish beige. Now I realize that this may be the original paint scheme. But let's face it, was anything tasteful made in the 70's?

Can I strip the paint and expose the metal like traditional Airstreams? Alternatively, can I repaint in aluminum paint?

Looking for some guidance. Thanks.
Stevie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Stevie Canuck!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosys!

Quote:
Can I strip the paint and expose the metal like traditional Airstreams? Alternatively, can I repaint in aluminum paint?
While most of the Argosy is aluminum much like the Airstream - - two critical areas are not - - the front and rear domes are both made of galvanized steel. It is unpredictable just what you might find under the paint as well. Even if you do not find any damage hidden by the paint, there will be an extra amount of work required if a polished surface is desired as the metal prep for the painted surface will result in adiitional polishing steps.

If the choice is to repaint, about any color that the owner desires is a possibility. One of the most striking Argosys that I have run across was painted Cadillac Dusky Pearl. The critical issue, according to the body shop that I am considering have paint my Minuet, is proper preparation and priming of the aluminum with products designed for use on aluminum - - the domes require standard automotive type finishes (according to what the body shop that I am working with indicated on my estimate).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Angry Colors

Careful Steve

Some Argosy owners like that color, some have shark infested mouths when disturbed.
It sounds like the original paint and if it is any kind of good shape keep it undisturbed.
If you insist in changing the color do not strip it unless there are problems with the bite of the paint. Just paint right over it with the proper prep.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Painting a 1977 26ft. Argosy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Canuck
First time greetings from the Great White North!

I am an "Airstream virgin" and trying to get into the game. Looking at a 1977 26ft. Argosy. The exterior is in great shape. However, the colour is a creamy pinkish beige. Now I realize that this may be the original paint scheme. But let's face it, was anything tasteful made in the 70's?

Looking for some guidance. Thanks.
There is a photo of an Argosy painted silver like an Airstream, I think on Inland RV's website. It looks good, although not the high gloss you could get from polishing an Airstream. Mine really needs paint, it has been in south Texas and south Florida its' whole life, and the original paint has taken a beating. My Argosy, and most older Argosy's (Argees?)(Argosies?) have a two tone paint in their original incarnation. Mine is an off-white top, and a light beige below the belt line. I am planning on repainting a similar color, but with pearl added to the colors. It should be cool, if I can find someone to do it for less than the cost of the national debt...
Honestly, though, it is your trailer, if you want to paint it, go for it, and paint it a color you like. It is, after all, only paint. As far as painting, I agree with Gary, just prep and paint, you shouldn't have to strip it all off. Both the end segments and the rest of the trailer do have special prep work that needs to be done. The ends tend to peel bad, because of the galvanized steel they are made of.
Terry
Old 02-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #5

Much obliged. I will post my results in due course. I am also concerned about my towing vehicle (98 Ford Explorer). I'll do my homework first.

Cheers!
Stevie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Oh Boy!

Steve

I have a 99 Ford Exploder with the small 6 and manual transmission, it will tow my 6 meter Minuet, but I would not go any heavier than that. I only use the Exploder to tow when I absolutly have to.

There are a lot of threads on towing with the Ford Exploder, take a look through the archives and you will find hours of reading on the subject.

Happy Trails.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:22 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Been there, done that, bought...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Canuck
Much obliged. I will post my results in due course. I am also concerned about my towing vehicle (98 Ford Explorer). I'll do my homework first.

Cheers!
I started towing mine with a Ranger, with the 4.0 (explorer) engine, and my experience was less than stellar. You may do a little better with the full-body version, as there is better aerodynamics (no bed for the air to get trapped in), but my 3300 pound trailer really made the truck work hard. I traded for a V8 Dakota, and was much happier. Also, my trailer is the 20 foot version, six feet shorter, and, presumably lighter than the one you are looking at. My "emergency tow vehicle" (read, when the Dakota breaks down) is a Jeep Cherokee, roughly the same size and power as your Exploder, and it ain't anything to write home about either, tow-vehicle wise.
Terry
Old 02-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Stevie Canuck!

Regading the weight of the Argosy 26 you are considering, the following is from the 1977 factory Sales brochure, and applies to either the Center Twin or Center Double:

Empty Coach Weight: 3,960 pounds
Empty Tongue Weight: 520 pounds

Both of the above weights are without any options or accessories, and do not include propane nor any other fluids. Realistically, the gross weight will likely approach 5,500 pounds and the tongue weight will likely be pushing 700 pounds. My Overlander of similar size has an empty weight including installed options and accessories of 4,470 pounds and gross weight approaching 6,100 pounds with a loaded tongue weight approaching 750 pounds. With the Overlander, I have never towed with less than a K1500 Chevrolet Pickup - - it was adequate but just couldn't handle travel in the Rocky Mountains with its 5.7 Liter V8 and 3.73 differentials - - my '84 (full-size) Jeep Grand Wagoneer with 360 AMC V8 was quite capable - - the Suburban simply walks away with the trailer.

Good luck with your inspection and deliberations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote