Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Paint to match the Argosy

I want to paint just the front and rear domes and the bumper and tongue on the 1974 Argosy. Recommendations or information on where to find the matching paints are appreciated? Two tone off paint job white (top) and tan (bottom). Thanks,
Attached Images

TinCanSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #2

We, too, are trying to find out paint color numbers or some way to match the paint colors on our '74 Argosy. Any help is appreciated.
blewbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Paint to match the Argosy Reply to Thread

Greetings TinCanSue and blewbird!

I think that I can help with the upper color, but I have not run across a reference for the medium beige found below the beltline on the 1972-'73/'74 coaches. I believe that this information was originally posted to the VAC List about five or six years ago by Charlie Burke, a Parts Manager for a long-time Airstream dealership.

Quote:
Upper body color: DuPont Centari #44534-A Light Beige

Lower banana skin: Lilly Coatings #7641-A Metallic Brown
(this bottom color various with different models-this
was appropriate for the 1976 Argosy, 24 ft.)

The original colors were provided by Lilly Industrial Coatings. In 1988
Airstream published a list of Dupont Centari substitute numbers. Based on
that list the Argosy colors through 1977 were:

Upper--Light Beige 44534-A

Lower--Metallic Brown 44721-AM
I don't think that Charlie Burke is an active member on this Forum, but if you happen to be a member of the VAL List I would suggest trying to post your question there as I know that he is an active participant on that list and may respond to your question with the correct lower segment color.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Paint to match the Argosy
You wrote: "I want to paint just the front and rear domes and the bumper and tongue on the 1974 Argosy. Recommendations or information on where to find the matching paints are appreciated? Two tone off paint job white (top) and tan (bottom)."

I had mine done a few weeks ago. I would say that any paint shop will find you an almost exact match for your painting job. I had the code and everything from this site for the "off-white" color, but the paint wasn't available anymore. It cost me 750$ CA to have the front and rear domes of mine (Argosy Minuet 1977) done. I forgot at the time... I should have had the propane tanks, the wheels, and the two covers (fridge and water heater) done at the same time... Mine is now just beautiful and I am plenty satisfied with the job... I will try to post a photograph of it when I have time... I just retired... and as you know retirees have very little left to do these kind of things... :-)
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi TinCanSue -- How is your exposed galvanized steel? Rust or a bit of tin left? Inland Andy told me once to use a sparing amount of acid metal prep (found it in my farm & fleet store) -- it will affect the surrounding paint so work clean. Rinse it off & dry. Spray an epoxy primer on the exposed metal. I didn't have easy access to automotive paint at the time, so found spray cans of almond colored enamel -- tried 2 or 3 before I found one that was close. Use 2-3 thin coats. Sure, I see the spray paths and the color is only a match above 20mph. But it's still better than the powdery oxidized paint on the rest of my '74. This was a temporary solution and is holding up well 2 years later.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Krylon Ivory gloss is an almost exact match, much closer than any of the almonds I looked at. I am painting just my end caps for now as this is the wrong time of year to do good paint job anyway ( it's getting cold here in Tennessee). I'm also replacing all of the marker and clearance lights, painting the trim and bottom panals. I think it will actuaaly turn out pretty good, I know it will be better than it is now.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Last year I painted the end caps on my 75 Argosy. I sanded the endcaps with an orbital sander, primed with Dupont Vari-prime and painted with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel. Dupont 44534-AM as stated above. They turned out realy nice. Mrmossyone is right about the Krylon Ivory. I used it to paint my water heater door and it is almost an exact match.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Check my reply in the "Painting an Argosy" thread up now.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote