Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Oxidation on '04 Bambi

I bought a 04 Bambi recently. During the walk thru, and sales process, I kept commenting on the oxidation around many of the rivets in back, around the door hinges and latches etc.. The sales guy at the airstream dealer kept saying it was common on ALL older airstreams.. Since then I've been looking at a lot of them.. I haven't see one yet with the while flaking oxidation type bubbles arond some of the rivets..
The previous owner was from Florida, I suspect that's why I have it..
2 questions, can I do anything to stop it or slow it down?
or, can I reverse it without stripping off the clearcoat and buffing it out?

I would imagine this has been discussed to death, I am very sorry if I've brought up a often repeated subject. I'm just not that proficient at researching old threads.

Thanks,
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Here's your afternoon reading:

Corrosion problems with newer trailers
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Here's your afternoon reading:

Corrosion problems with newer trailers
:eek :

It looks like it's been mentioned..
Old 08-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Go pick up a can of WD-40 and spend few minutes generously spraying every spot, rivet line, and on wherever there's ongoing corrosion TODAY.

Those white spots (filiform corrosion) can grow like fungus and mold in matter of few day, if factors (temperature, humidity, etc) align.

I do this every few month. It is a short-term solution, but works pretty well for me, because it's so easy and quick. Keep in mind WD-40 was originally developed to combat this same exact filiform corrosion issues for Boeing airplanes in 50s.

There are also other specialty products (Boeshield T-9, CorrosionX) which give you perhaps better adhesion and waxy coating.

Later when you have time and energy, you can carefully sand every spot and apply nail polish, or buff the entire trailer and clearcoat...
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Also ACF 50. Apply to corrosion prone areas. I can vouch for effectiveness on battery terminals. I applied it to a couple filiform areas on the trailer and noticed no new growth. You will also notice the license plate bracket is prone to corrosion, wipe a little ACF 50 on that, chips on the frame you haven't got around to touching up, etc.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm just curious.. How bad does it get if the Bioshield T-9 does not work, others have said it does not..
Does it eventually spread until there is more crud than aluminum??
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Your answer: See photos of it in this: Post #834 of the thread:

Corrosion problems in newer Airstreams

As I mentioned earlier, this thread of now 67 pages easily makes for an entire afternoon of reading. There is much information there and I suggest that you take the time to read all of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I'm just curious.. How bad does it get if the Bioshield T-9 does not work, others have said it does not..
Does it eventually spread until there is more crud than aluminum??
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Your answer: See photos of it in this: Post #834 of the thread:

Corrosion problems in newer Airstreams

As I mentioned earlier, this thread of now 67 pages easily makes for an entire afternoon of reading. There is much information there and I suggest that you take the time to read all of the posts.
I did spend hours going thru that post, I just didn't recall seeing a post with more crud than the pics on post 834. I was wondering if it could even get worse than that.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
You're welcome Jeff.

Here are more pictures of the filiform corrosion crud on other areas of a 2004 19 foot trailer.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I did spend hours going thru that post, I just didn't recall seeing a post with more crud than the pics on post 834. I was wondering if it could even get worse than that.

Thanks,
Jeff