Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Old Numbers

Hey guys. Like most Airstreams, mine has had a number on it. I have always disliked this as I do not want to look like I am part of an Airstream club. Is there a way to remove these numbers without taking off the clearcoat with it?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
If it has the stickers, you can remove them, but you'll probably still see the numbers in the clear coat. Not much you can do other than removing the clear coat. But ghost numbers on Airstreams is incredibly common; I wouldn't assume someone is a member because of that (nor do I assume someone is a member just because they have numbers, since it's so common that they get left on the trailer).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Victoria , Texas
Ghost letters look cool. They are a sign of the vehicles past.
tinyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
We plan on joining WBCC very soon & will be applying for our original #s to be reinstated. What we think is REALLY neat, is that the first 3 digits, of the 4 digit #, is also our current house #/address.

|;-{D
2 Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
That's the spirit! If the number is not in use, International will reserve it for you ... all you have to do is call or email them, and let them know what Unit you plan to join. Then when you join, be sure to make note that you've reserved the number. Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cowboys View Post
We plan on joining WBCC very soon & will be applying for our original #s to be reinstated. What we think is REALLY neat, is that the first 3 digits, of the 4 digit #, is also our current house #/address.

|;-{D
Have you decided which Unit to join? Or are you going for member-at-large? I belong to the Greater New Orleans Unit, but the Louisiana Unit and Acadiana Unit are both good as well.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Tough Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Hey guys. Like most Airstreams, mine has had a number on it. I have always disliked this as I do not want to look like I am part of an Airstream club. Is there a way to remove these numbers without taking off the clearcoat with it?
Wow, those are some pretty tough words. I think most on here would agree that just owning an Airstream puts you in the "club''. Sort of a birds of a feather thing.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I couldnt find the best way to explain it lol. And I dont think I was in the best mood either at the time lol.

Lemme get one thing straight: I LOVE my Airstream lol. Although I get frustrated at times tryin to redo the interior, I couldnt imagine selling it. But I dont have the time to join WBCC and go to meetings and stuff. Thats more for when I retire in 40 years lol. And I personally dont like the ghost letter look lol but Ill live with it
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
And forgot to mention, I like this forum too lol. Although some guys can get pretty argumentive lol
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yep, some folks like friction, but not me. There is an argument thread on here somewhere just for them.

I am a member of the WBCCI but don't get to participate very much. One, maybe two rallies a year. Retirement is not in the picture for me. Don't have the numbers on my trailer, it has never had them. Don't think it would bother me if it did.

I like the club but feel it is more of a duty/obligation thing since it is the official club for this great trailer. I like being a part of the entire Airstream world.

In my Unit I am probably the misfit. One of the youngest ones (at least in spirit). No one has ever confronted me about anything and they are always glad to see me.

Main thing is enjoy yourself with that silver time machine.

John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #11

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Good Morning

Rick pointed you out yesterday at the open house. When we went outside - I couldn't find you.
Do you have any info about the LA WCCI units?
Our Airstream is now up and running - so its time to join. For some reason - I've never seen their activities mentioned here. I must be missing it
We are hoping to get our old numbers reinstated.
Thanks
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
All the information on all the local unit activities can be found on the wbcci.org site under the join tab. Select the Region you are interested in from the map and the links to the individual unit websites will appear (if that unit has a website). They usually have their newsletters posted, so you can check their previous and forthcoming activities.

On a separate note: Keeping the old numbers on your unit will keep people like me from harassing you to joining the club. I always stop by to talk to any "Baldy". If you insist: the numbers come off easily with a hair dryer. Remove the residual adhesive with charcoal lighter fluid.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #13

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Thanks Dwight

I forgot to reply on Protagonist's message. Sometimes on my dumbphone I screwup more then normal.
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Thanks Dwight

I forgot to reply on Protagonist's message. Sometimes on my dumbphone I screwup more then normal.
Jane
Don't let it worry you. I screw up more than normal, too, and can't even blame it on the dumbphone!

Anyway, what dwightdi said, with regard to finding info on WBCCI. You can also start with this link… http://www.wbcci.org/home/regions-a-units/region-6.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Protagonist-

Most likely, we'll be "at large" to start. Still learning the ropes, as they say. Didn't know that there was a New Orleans unit. But then again, it's my partner who has visited the official site & done that type of research.
Also, I agree. Birds of a feather, are guilty by association. LoL But as I often tell Cowboy: "Different things, are important to different people."
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Got this method from Inland Andy: hold a wet towel over the numbers and then go over them with a steam clothes iron. Worked amazingly well - but the numbers I removed were only 5 years old...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
.... <snip>...And I don't think I was in the best mood either at the time lol. ....<snip> ...But I don't have the time to join WBCC and go to meetings and stuff. Thats more for when I retire in 40 years lol. ... <snip>...
(1) Yeah, it showed that you were not in the best mood.
(2) Some WBCCI Units don't hold dreary "meetings and stuff"... the 4CU, for example doesn't. If there's any club "business", its done via email, and that is pretty rare. When we get together it's to camp, enjoy our Airstreams, and catch up with friends ... and most of our rallies fall over long weekends because we have a lot of members who are not retired. It's a misconception that WBCCI is only for "old people" ... au contraire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cowboys View Post
Protagonist-
Most likely, we'll be "at large" to start. Still learning the ropes, as they say. Didn't know that there was a New Orleans unit. But then again, it's my partner who has visited the official site & done that type of research.
Also, I agree. Birds of a feather, are guilty by association. LoL But as I often tell Cowboy: "Different things, are important to different people."
Just and FYI: Becoming a MAL (Member At Large) isn't the optimum way to go ... because it costs more, and you don't have a "connected" experience with folks at the Unit level ... You're a member of the club overall, yes, but no ties to a group, and that's really where the people and fun are to be found. You are better off to join a Unit where you'll have a more personal experience... Look around and visit a couple of unit events before deciding which to join in order to assure a good fit. Remember, too, that (a) you may join any unit you wish, not just the one in your locale, (b) as a member of WBCCI you can attend the functions of any unit ... you are not limited to functions of your home unit....and (c) you have the freedom to transfer your membership from one unit to another (during renewal) down the road if you want to...

Oh...about WBCCI numbers on rigs. We did not put our numbers on our rig...we don't like what it does to the clear coat ... they call us "baldies" ... But that's OK...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Thanx TBRich. That's certainly something to consider. We discussed it & think we'll just wait a lil longer, before we join. Ask a few more questions & get abetted feel for what's the right "fit."
We've got a few more "fix its" to tackle this week. And we have a free stay at a lil camp ground, just north of New Orleans (home). We hope to get more of a feel of what it'll be like to LIVE in our Silver Bullet.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Ugh... "Better feel" for it. Darn FTS!! (Fat Thumb Syndrome)
Also- trying to settle on a good name for our Airstream. Any direction, as to where to look for inspiration?
Thanx
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Trigger and Calico. Trigger for the TV, Calico for the trailer.

Roy and Dale