Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Limited Maroon Trim

It looks like as I go to clean-up my 94 Limited that I will end up destroying the trim tape. My current plan is to paint the stripe back on after i have finished. The tape is both a dark grey stripe and a maroon one. Does anyone have a clue as to what color to use to match the existing colors. Most of my striping is faded and will be hard to match.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Tarheel, we will be interested in responses to your question. Our '95 Limited also has ragged trim in the dark grey and maroon just as you describe. I had considered just painting in the missing edging since I'm overwhelmed at the idea of stripping all the tape. I know it's not a purist approach, but it will function just fine and clean up the overall appearance. Knowing the colors is the key. Hope you hear back with your information!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:50 AM   #3
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Tarheel,
We had a similar problem with the decorative stripe on our 86 excella. While powerwashing, I noticed pieces of it flecking off. Seventeen years of u.v. fade had also reduced the original royal blue to, you understand, a charming and revered color. Carolina blue.
We had the tape replaced by Steve Ruth, at P & S Trailers in Ohio, an A/S advertiser. < www.pandstrailerservice.com >
They stock large rolls of the tape and perhaps they have the "limited" tape too. The charges were reasonable and when finished it made the unit look like brand new. Although it's only a cosmetic item, you are still not putting lipstick on a frog. Style.
Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If I were you, I'd probably want to go back with tape in the colors that my unit came with if at all possible; however, just a note for thought. Not all Limited trailers came with the gray and maroon stripe like in your '94 or in the woodgrain pattern of a few years earlier. Though rare, some were produced with the more traditional royale blue stripe of the Excella on special order in both tape and paint configurations. I am told that my trailer was one of two produced in 1982 that had the blue stripe. In any case, the point I am trying to make is that if you cannot locate a source for the replacement tape, it would not be out of character for you to strip the tape and have it replaced by a painted blue stripe since some units were equipped that way by the factory. This option would certainly be preferrable to me than not doing anything and having to look at her faded glory from now on.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
GStephens, I only have one concern with that approach, all of my awnings and wheel skirts as well as my chairs are in the zip dee maroon fancy stripe. It would look kinda strange to put the blue on with the maroon awnings. I think the suggestion of going back to paul and sherry is the way to go. I am certain that there are some tricks to installing the tape and it might even be worthwhile to take it to them to have it done properly. I am more comfortable with a paint gun than the tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
If I were you, I'd probably want to go back with tape in the colors that my unit came with if at all possible; however, just a note for thought. Not all Limited trailers came with the gray and maroon stripe like in your '94 or in the woodgrain pattern of a few years earlier. Though rare, some were produced with the more traditional royale blue stripe of the Excella on special order in both tape and paint configurations. I am told that my trailer was one of two produced in 1982 that had the blue stripe. In any case, the point I am trying to make is that if you cannot locate a source for the replacement tape, it would not be out of character for you to strip the tape and have it replaced by a painted blue stripe since some units were equipped that way by the factory. This option would certainly be preferrable to me than not doing anything and having to look at her faded glory from now on.
GStephens
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote