Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Question Late 80's-Early 90's clearcoat issues

Just finished Tim Shephard's great book "Restoring a Dream" which follows his restoration of a 60's era AS trailer. He writes of the process of removing the clearcoating and polishing of his trailer. Apparently, the Alclad aluminum used in the vintage AS units was changed to a thinner aluminum and the clearcoat is actually a plasti-coat and not effectively repairable. I got the feeling from Mr. Shephard's writing that you can't do much with the exterior finish on a mid-80's or later AS. Does anyone know if you can remove/replace the damaged clearcoat and/or polish a later model? Our 1989 Excella has the normal age-related clearcoat flaking issues but isn't too bad yet. Just looking for some info to prepare for future restoration. Also, anyone heard of resto-books on later(80's and newer) AS units?
Regards,
James-USA(ret.)
Rebecca-USAF
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Like you I am searching for the same info. I have 1991 AS that spent its life in California. I know I have to remove what remains of the plastic coat. I don't want to go the polished route. But I do want a protection layer on the AS. Just beginning my education on the matter.
TOPORANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Clear Coat

You guys ever come up with a solution? Thanks Chris
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote