Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
Is yours painted a different color?? Besides Silver or Beige?

We want to paint our Argosy black with a red stripe down the sides. I was wondering if anyone else has painted their Argosy a different shade other than beige. Or if any other Airstreamers have any other colors on theirs. The Argosy (as I'm sure most of you already know) were painted beige and it's just not us. Oh, pictures please.
ckelly617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The most "famous" colored trailer is "Vintage Thunder" (post #74) which was a project taken on by Airstream Life a couple of years ago. I think the new owners are members of the forum here - they may chime in.

Also there was long discussion about painting a trailer "red" at one point...may give you some food for thought as well. I also recall seeing a robin's-egg-blue one, a camouflage one and discussions of other colors (creamsicle?) too. You may want to do a search to see what else comes up.

My biggest concern with painting one black would be the heat gain.

Good luck in whatever your decide to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Talk about roasting in Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly617
We want to paint our Argosy black ...
You sure you want to do that? Tobacco barns are painted black to get them as hot as possible to cure the product.

Your Argosy may look cool, but it won't be.

Back to your original question: rluhr painted an Argosy a non-standard color and reported being constantly accosted by complete strangers who badgered him about the color. Do a Google search on "Vintage Thunder" and you will find pictures.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
We want to paint our Argosy black with a red stripe down the sides. I was wondering if anyone else has painted their Argosy a different shade other than beige. Or if any other Airstreamers have any other colors on theirs. The Argosy (as I'm sure most of you already know) were painted beige and it's just not us. Oh, pictures please.
Have you thought about what black will do for the heat build up inside. You will be living inside an oven. Beige and white were the colors because they reflected the heat. There are some other painted colors out there, maybe they will chime in.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
You know I did think about the heat and that was one thing I was worried about. We're from Florida so we're kinda used to the heat, but I don't want to be cookin from it. Hmmmm we'll think about it more.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
-of course, if you're in Manhattan you wouldn't be caught DEAD in anything but a BLACK travel trailer, even it meant you soon were dead of heat stroke...OK, I'M KIDDING..

I'd paint it silver. I think the totally HOT (meaning cool) setup currently is when the full-monte folks add that reflective mylar-bubble insulation against the inner side of the outer walls with fiberglas batts on top of that. That will probably produce the coolest interior you can make and reduce condensation issues. I dream of one day doing this to a Weewind...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
I have painted the black Stripe on our 20 Black, the brown just did not look right... We are thinking of an off white some day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	55483  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

If you paint it black, the heat rise in the interior during the summer, is out of sight.

You may have to add another AC, or not use the trailer except in the winter months, or only at night, like after midnight.

But you could also park the trailer under a double layer tent.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
I read about "painting the trailer red" and I think that people should be able to personalize their trailers however they want without being harassed about it. If it came in MINT condition then we'd leave ours that way but if we're gonna have to redo alot of it we want to redo it our way. We gotta stay in it so we should be comfortable right?

And there is AC for the heat right? Unless we were in a place that didn't have electric hook-up. Help??
Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You should be able to do what you want without harassment, that doesn't make it so.

Yes, there is A/C for the heat.
If you paint the trailer black, or another dark color, the A/C will be working overtime and you'll be replacing it sooner.

Sometimes the consequences of doing what we want don't pay off.
This is true for all areas of life.

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Also, bear in mind if you will be keepig pets inside during the day--what would happen to them should the A/C fail for some reason.

I think it would look AWESOME, but have to agree on the heated interior. Ten years in Texas'll do that to ya!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I read about "painting the trailer red" and I think that people should be able to personalize their trailers however they want without being harassed about it. If it came in MINT condition then we'd leave ours that way but if we're gonna have to redo alot of it we want to redo it our way.
True. But if you ever plan on selling or trading your trailer for another, your list of "future buyers" would be limited it it is too customized.
Quote:
I read about "painting the trailer red"... We gotta stay in it so we should be comfortable right?

And there is AC for the heat right? Unless we were in a place that didn't have electric hook-up. Help??
This post (and several others) from the "painting it red thread" goes into great detail about heat gain. Do you really want to limit your travels to places w/electric so you can run your A/C? This would exclude most State & National Parks, boondocking "overnighting in a parking lot", power failures? Having owned both black & white colored cars...how hot they get (thus how hard your A/C has to work for you to be comfortable) varies dramatically!

Ultimately, it's your trailer - do what you want to it. But just know what you choose to do to it may impact it's future.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
People are just trying to warn you from doing an expensive paint job you might regret. However, if you still want it black, then paint it black - it's yours to do with as you wish! There are lotso f personalized trailers on here, and they may not be to everyone's taste, but as long as the owner loves them, that's all that matters!

Plus, it's just paint, if you hate it you can change it a few years down the road. I painted my house pink for a few years just to tick off the neighbors. Nice thing about paint is you can always change it later

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I painted my house pink for a few years just to tick off the neighbors.
Gosh Steph...glad your not MY neighbor!

Shari

Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
I know you guys are right but I hate admitting that I'm wrong!! Crap, back to square one. Hmmm maybe we'll paint it true pearl and call it Pearl but it doesn't sound all evil and mean like a pirate. The Black Pearl is the name of the pirate ship in "Pirates of the Caribean" that's where we got the idea from. We love those movies and love the pirate kinda theme. I'm sad now. I gotta figure out another strategy.

Any ideas??

We are Floridians and I do like our pink flamingos that we are known for but everyone has the pink flamingos. I want to be pirates!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
We want to paint our Argosy black with a red stripe down the sides...
hi ckelly' and welcome to the forums!

i've seen pix of ONE argosy painted BLACK, it looked neat.

i don't care for black vehicles because they are so hard to keep looking clean...

but the "it will be lots hotter" warnings, aren't as absolute as most folks suggest.

there are many amateur experiments on this issue (black exteriors) making for hotter INTERIORS...

the results are ALL over the place and mostly contradictory.

while the painted surface temps may climb for darker colors, INTERIOIR temps don't change as much or at all.

IF the windows and skylights are covered to block solar penetration,

a black trailer might be 3-10 degrees hotter inside in direct sunlight and without a breeze.

it really depends more on WHERE the 'stream is parked (grass, sand, tarmack) than the surface color.

the painted skin section post in the 'red' thread is misleading in several obvious ways.

if YOU like black and wanna do it GOT FOR IT!

and to get some idea how your unit might look, take some pix and photochop/edit the color palate!

a black pearl/ metal flake paint scheme would look REALLY COOL! regardless of temperature.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
I know you guys are right but I hate admitting that I'm wrong!! Crap, back to square one. Hmmm maybe we'll paint it true pearl and call it Pearl but it doesn't sound all evil and mean like a pirate. The Black Pearl is the name of the pirate ship in "Pirates of the Caribean" that's where we got the idea from. We love those movies and love the pirate kinda theme. I'm sad now. I gotta figure out another strategy.

Any ideas??

We are Floridians and I do like our pink flamingos that we are known for but everyone has the pink flamingos. I want to be pirates!!
We had a 76 Argosy 24, it's name was the White Pearl inspired by that movie!

'the White Pearl'
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Harassment is relative. They have flamingos! Paint it what you want.

The black/interior heat deal aside….a black trailer had better have some Kick Butt bright lights on the rear at night!!

If I had an Argosy I’d go with the bumble bee theme.

Safari64
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bee trailer.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	55486  
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
hi ckelly' and welcome to the forums!

i've seen ONE argosy painted BLACK, it looked neat.

i don't care for black vehicles because they are so hard to keep looking clean...

but the "it will be lots hotter" warnings, aren't as absolute as most folks suggest.

there are many amateur experiments on this issue (black exteriors) making for hotter INTERIORS...

the results are ALL over the place and mostly contradictory.

while the painted surface temps may climb for darker colors, INTERIOIR temps don't change as much or at all.

IF the windows and skylights are covered to block solar penetration,

a black trailer might be 3-10 degrees hotter inside in direct sunlight and without a breeze.

it really depends more on WHERE the 'stream is parked (grass, sand, tarmack) than the surface color.

the painted skin section post in the 'red' thread is misleading in several obvious ways.

if YOU like black and wanna do it GOT FOR IT!

and to get some idea how your unit might look, take some pix and photochop/edit the color palate!

a black pearl/ metal flake paint scheme would look REALLY COOL! regardless of temperature.
See, I read the same thing that the temp increases faster with black, but that they both will eventually reach the same or close temps. The interior would probably be mosty wood colors and we found this fabric with tattoo designs (pinups, hearts with a banner that say Amor, etc.). We'll do an experiment with it. Maybe park it under a black tarp and then a silver tarp and maybe a white one too. We'll see.

Thanks for your support!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
_

. , .
pirates IS good, just no puffy shirts!

or u could skip the paint and wrap her in graphics!

i'm sure devoman (who is near you) could crank out a pirate theme graphic along the lines one of these...

see post #3 here and post #5...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...eam-19698.html

or some swoopy black pirate side stripes!

although the swoopy graphic folks often need a treatmentnrecovery program!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-sob-4867.html

cheers
2air'

how 'bout a nice military theme?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	army_airstream.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	55487  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote