Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Insurance Coverage for Bird Dropping Damage to Clearcoat

I own a 2015 Flying Cloud 28. I clean and Walbernize the trailer once a year. This spring I noticed that a bird dropping caused the clearcoat to completely peel off in an area that measures roughly 3 inches by 5 inches. The area of damage is just above where the galley vent is located. If I have a $500 insurance deductible, would you recommend that I file an insurance claim for the damage? If so, how would this problem be repaired by Airstream and at what estimated cost? Also, is it recommended to use 3M paint protector (as used on cars) on vulnerable aluminum surfaces? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. TG
Holy Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Since the coating is applied at Alcoa, not Airstream, I can only see clear coat being applied, which won't look exact and will need to be touched up every few years as clear can fail, the coating seems to last far longer, as long as you don't see corrosion which may still be an issue with Airstream trailers or any alum trailer where external coatings are compromised.

The other option might be panel overlay, but to me that seems like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer.

My trailer is kept in a pole barn and I have had bird dropping that could potentially sit on the skin for 4-5 months and have never had an issue with the coating failing or even slightly discolored either for that matter. I do however use a high grade automotive wax. I used Walbernize first year or two, but I found that it breaks down far too quickly.

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts. I would contact Airstream customer support for the real low down. Clear coating it won't cost more than your deductible from what I can see, but panel overlay, that can get pricey fast, far surpassing your deductible in a heartbeat.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I do however use a high grade automotive wax. I used Walbernize first year or two, but I found that it breaks down far too quickly.
Hi Panamerican, what high grade wax do you use? It would be great to get started protecting the coatings.

Thanks,

PB
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Tanks for the advice. Here's a less than great picture of the affected area. The factory coating just disintegrated. God know what the perpetrating bird had for dinner. I would be interested in knowing what wax you're using. Walbernizing is an easy job, but seems like a thin maginally effective coating, unless there's something in its chemistry I don't know about. Thanks for your comment. TGClick image for larger version

Name:	20200603_112742.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	369290
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It's not berd poop...same happened here, not as common filiform corrosion, but it does happen.

Bob
🇺🇸

Middle just below awning...I just polished the area with medium compound and keep it sealed with Griot's One Step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBE4B8E8-9558-417A-A171-5EFC7F53936C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	369294  
Old 06-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
I spoke with Airstream about the clearcoat problem and was informed that the only fix is to replace the aluminum! Airstream sells a can of clearcoat to protect the exposed skin, but the surface will always look damaged. My Airstream is only 5 years old! Does Airstream cut people a break when this happens??
Old 06-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Ha!
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ha? Are you saying Airstream wouldn't offer me a deep discount to repair my trailer? Wouldn't they be compelled by the fact that the trailer is only 5 years old and that the damage was highly unusual and no fault of mine? What about their reputation? Heck, when the coating peels off the precious aluminum and can't be repaired, that is just depressing. I thought the damage was caused by bird poop and I could possibly file an insurance claim. Now, I learn the damage is due to some other mysterious forces and I'm sunk. Oh wait, Airstream told me I could fix it by replacing the sheet of aluminum skin with a new one. I wonder if that's expensive. Also, how about Alcoa which manufactures and adds the coating to the aluminum? Maybe Alcoa will offer to fix it for free.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
It may be no consolation but you are not alone. I have peeling clear coat on two areas of my 2011 27FB. Airstream gave me the same advice - replace the panel.

I have repaired the areas with a spray on high quality automotive clear coat. It is certainly visible but I have learned not to look up.

Welcome to the joy of filiform corrosion and owning a late model Airstream. It’s a dirty secret no dealer or Airstream talks about. No one is immune to this no matter the kind of wax or how frequently it is applied, in my opinion. Some owners/trailers fare better than others. Personally I bought the trailer to camp in and enjoy and for me that doesn’t mean spending much time waxing it. So I live with the appearance issues. But I feel your pain.

Don
Old 06-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
"Don't Look Up"

Hi Don:
So far you have given me the best advice which is "Don't Look Up!" I'm going to immediately apply this solution to the peeling clearcoat on my merely 5 year old Flying Cloud 28. Problem solved and it cost me practically nothing! If this issue with the clearcoat ends up spreading, I may have to resort to "Don't Look Down" or worse yet, "Don't Look Period!"
Thanks for sharing your expertise with me.
Tom
Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #11
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
I would encourage you to re-clear coat any areas that are peeling. The clear coat exists to provide a protective coating of the aluminum against filiform corrosion.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Replacing the panel is the correct method to fully fix the issue. Anything else is simply a bandaid.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Agree, but it is a band-aid that doesn’t cost thousands of dollars.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
I decided to try using a 3M clear adhesive used to protect bodywork paint on cars. I cut a square patch and stuck it on. Airstream said the adhesive may eat through the clearcoat, but I have used this stuff on other vehicles without any negative results. It seems like a good fix until I figure out what to do.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
S.L.C. , Utah
I own a 2016 flying cloud and I also have multiple spots of the clear coat peeling and now the seam above the rear window is also peeling. I have looked on airstreams website and all I saw was a pen they sell to cover the spots. I bought this trailer used in 2017 and thought the original owner may have parked it somewhere where something dropped on it until I saw the seam peeling. Also wondering what else I can apply to spot the peeling. It’s very frustrating because I have kept this trailer immaculate ��
casey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #16
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
I uses a high quality clear coat in a spray can. Bought it from Nappa, an auto parts store in Canada.