Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
How to restore the model nameplate?

I have wanted to do this for some time now and recall reading a couple of years ago,how someone managed to re-paint their model nameplate.For the life of me,I can't seem to find it.

I am not referring to the style that AirstreamDreams.com sells....my coach is a '67 and has a different nameplate by the entrance door...the one that is about an 1/4 or so inch thick.It has the VIN number,as well as make and model of coach(in my case,Safari).I understand that these came painted from the factory in traditional A/S colors?All the paint on mine is long gone and I would love to bring it back to it's previous colored glory....has anyone done this to theirs?Any tips?What color paint goes where etc.?I imagine a very tiny paint brush is used?

Thanks in advance!
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Same process
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...nameplate.html

I have also heard you can do it by wiping the paint into the textured areas and off the smooth.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Nameplate Restoring

My Nameplate Is Also Very Weathered But Last Weekend I Meet A Couple From Ophiem, Il. Who Are Gutting And Modernizing A 1969 A/s Overlander. Their Coach Has The International Trim Package On It And The Nameplate Is, From Left To Right, Red, White, And Blue. I Think That Is What My 1967 Safari Must Have Been Too! Not Really Sure Though, As It Is So Faded That It Appears To Be The Same Aqua Color As My Oven Door And Interior Is. Perhaps Someone Could Enlighten Us? My Trailer Also Has The International Trim Package. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
My Nameplate Is Also Very Weathered But Last Weekend I Meet A Couple From Ophiem, Il. Who Are Gutting And Modernizing A 1969 A/s Overlander. Their Coach Has The International Trim Package On It And The Nameplate Is, From Left To Right, Red, White, And Blue. I Think That Is What My 1967 Safari Must Have Been Too! Not Really Sure Though, As It Is So Faded That It Appears To Be The Same Aqua Color As My Oven Door And Interior Is. Perhaps Someone Could Enlighten Us? My Trailer Also Has The International Trim Package. Ed
Ed:
The nameplate on both '67 Safari's I've owned did not have those colors. I only
find blue and aluminum/grey, but mine are also badly faded. I don't think the Int. versions were different.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Same process
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...nameplate.html

I have also heard you can do it by wiping the paint into the textured areas and off the smooth.
Great to know the blue paint to buy. Is there a correct color for Red or White?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Nameplate Vs Mfg Vin Plate

Sorry Murray, I Was Referring To The Original Post On This Thread By Charcigar. Who Was, I Believe, Asking About Restoring The Airstream Nameplate To The Right Of The Main Entrance Door On The Coach. It Is Located Just Below The Window And Contains The A/s Nameplate That States Both Mfg Sites In Jackson Center And Santa Fe Springs. It Also Has In The Center Section, Land Yacht And The Vin Number Of The Trailer. The Third Is The Model Name Segment, (in My Case Safari). The Red And White Are Bleached Out On My Plate, There Is Still Some Very Faded Blue On The Safari Plate Area. I Will Check The 1969 Trailer Of Andy And Hilarys' To See If I Can Confirm What I Stated In The Earier Reply. If Anyone Can Shed Any Light On This Topic Please Let Me Know.thank You.....ed
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
I do not have my camera where I am working on my trailer so cannot take a photo but have found this image:

http://www.vintagetrailering.com/air...0nameplate.htm

...this is the style of nameplate I am referring to.This one looks like it has been removed at one point and then riveted back on.Mine does NOT have rivets.

Hard to tell if this is the original paint job or if it has been redone....and if it's been redone,was it painted to original specs?

Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Just bumping this up....only have a couple more days to get this part painted properly(trying to get it done before an upcoming Rally!)....can anyone tell me what the original color scheme was?Andy,do you know?Photos of one,perhaps?Painting tips?

Help!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Looks easy.Lightly spray with royal blue spray paint then wipe off with rag dampened with solvent.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Pix

Does this help?

Looks like it was sanded smooth, buffed, cleaned, painted then wiped clean. The paint in the crevices remained.

Search the Forum for the blue color code.

Click on pix to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010072.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	13917  
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks for the photo...that's very helpful.

I understand that Rustoleum Royal Blue is the paint color of choice for the "Airstream Blue" shade......I just could have sworn that the there was also some white painted on those model nameplates as well.....I think on the bars above and below the VIN numbers?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
That is exactly what I did. Rustoleum Blue sprayed into a plastic dish and then brushed into the letters with a thin paintbrush. Buff off the excess and buff the rest of the metal until it shines. I sprayed a few coats of clear acrylic to protect it and its looked great for years.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Restore Nameplate

Charcigar, I Went To Look At The 1969 Ambassador (w/international Trim Package) On Andy And Hilarys' Trailer. It Is A 29 Foot Coach. The Nameplate Is Painted Left Side Red, Center White, And Right Side Blue. The Color Matches The International Plates And Rub Rail Colors On The Rest Of The Coach. The Recessed Areas Of The Plate On The Left And Right Are Blue To Match The Individual Letters That Spell Out Airstream On The Front And Rear Of Their Trailer. This Also Matches The Restoration To The International Plates That Appears In A Post By That Name In This Very Forum. It Is How I Am Going To Repaint Mine And My Hubcaps Also Match That Paint Scheme! Hope This Helps......Ed P.S. Andy And Hilary Also Have Some Interior Parts Listed In The Classified Section That They Are Trying To Sell If Anyone Is Interested. I Have Seen Them And They Are In Good Condition...FYI
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks for looking into this for me Big Ed.I read through the other post you mentioned....if all else fails,I will go ahead and paint according to that color scheme.

My Safari does not have the Int. options...so I am still unsure if it would have had any Red on the nameplate originally.Ideally,I'd like to paint this to match what it looked like in 1967....but if it cannot be confirmed,I'll just go with the red,white and blue...should look nice anyway.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Charcigar;

There was white in the name plate - The word landyacht and the serial numbers where actually white - the rest was the Airstream Blue and the plaquard was a gray colour. Although the one above is nice they were not shinny or brushed aluminum textured - they were in fact quite cheaply made and can still be made today by your standard signage store.

With a steady hand and the right brush you can do the letter painting by hand without all the fuss of spraying in several different layers. Have not done ours yet but it seems to be a fairly simple process.

Good luck with the project. Not sure I would rivet them in - takes away from the original look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nameplate.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	13964  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks SO much GT!That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for.I knew there was some white on there somewhere.Is the photo of the one you took original,or has it been touched up at some point?

Do you think there was any chance of the "SAFARI"(or in your case"GLOBETROTTER") part of the lettering being white as well?I am talking about the recessed model lettering.

I am not removing the plate to paint it,so there will be no need to rivet it back on.I agree,it doesn't look right done that way at all.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
No, I'm pretty sure the model name letters were in blue. The word "Safari" on ours has blue in it. I JUST looked. Also, the edges of the plate are blue too.

And I agree, don't remove it.
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcigar
Thanks SO much GT!That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for.I knew there was some white on there somewhere.Is the photo of the one you took original,or has it been touched up at some point?

Do you think there was any chance of the "SAFARI"(or in your case"GLOBETROTTER") part of the lettering being white as well?I am talking about the recessed model lettering.

I am not removing the plate to paint it,so there will be no need to rivet it back on.I agree,it doesn't look right done that way at all.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks for checking John.....do your believe your nameplate's condition to be original,or has someone painted it since '66?'Cus if's it's original,then that confirms the recessed letters were indeed painted Airstream blue.

Would you mind checking again to see if you have any paint remnants in the recessed "AIRSTREAM" letters?I'm curious if that had any color to begin with as well.

I'm really wanting to get this painted according to factory specs.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Oh, ours is certainly original. It wasn't "restored" or "renovated" when we got it. That's my job right now. It hasn't been touched, the plate that is, since 1966, I'm certain.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Sorry could not reply yesterday - I have had problems with tel line and internet connection on and off for about a week now - very frustrating since I "live here at the forums" yikes!!!!

Yes the picture of the name plate is original and has not been restored...yet!

The word Globe Trotter is indeed blue along with the far left leterting as well. There are two plates - stuck onto the trailer - with some pretty excellent double edge tape - or adhesive.

We will be taking ours off to get the job done right - but will not be riveting back - there are some amazing products out there that can handle the job of sticking it back on no problem - and hopefully ours will go on straight this time as it went on just slightly off at the factory 35 years ago

Did you need any other pics - I could try and take some real close ups for you if need be???

Good luck with your restoration.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote