Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
How to keep the bugs off?

I'm getting my plan ready in my mind for painting the bottom grey on my trailer. I'm figuring on sanding it first & taping above it so I don't get paint above. I'm planning on using spray paint, but wonder if that's what everyone uses? Also, since I have to paint it outside, what's the best plan for keeping wandering bugs off the fresh paint? I know it would be good to do it now, before there are bugs out, but I'm sure it's WAAAAY too cold outside. Any good brainstorms? (I'll send pics when I finish this spring!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Becky, If you have to paint outside do it early in the morning before the wind picks up and also would be better for not getting so many bugs. If you do get a bug in the paint don't try to take it out you will only make it worse you might be able to sand it out later.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
WE have no bugs down here now,and the temp is around 80,you just need a change of latitude.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
San Diego is almost bug free, the flying type !! So come to San Diego and do the painting
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Oh, believe me, if I could move all my friends & family out to somewhere warm, I would do it! Unfortunately, our business is planted here (literally--farming) so I'm stuck! I guess I'll give it a shot & resist the temptation to pick the bugs off if they do decide to land on the fresh paint! Thanks.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
Becky, If you have to paint outside do it early in the morning before the wind picks up and also would be better for not getting so many bugs. If you do get a bug in the paint don't try to take it out you will only make it worse you might be able to sand it out later.

Marvin

I have painted a great deal of things (tractors and such) outside. I agree with Marvin. Paint as early as possible and leave them (bug) to dry in the paint. Sometimes painting on one of those days in winter or early spring when it is unseasonably warm can help since the bugs may not have heard the forecast and are still in hibernation.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote