Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
How much maintenance?

just out of curiosity once you strip and polish an airstream how much maintenance is involved in keeping it shiny? I would think it is an eternal task!
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
How long it will stay shiny is dependent on where you store it or use it. If you do not clearcoat it after you polish it, it can last from 6 months to one year. I am not fussy, so I spend 6 hours buffing the 63 Overlander every spring, after it has been used and stored in Northern Illinois. I do not polish the other trailers.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
The old owners manuals from the 1960's suggest that you wash and wax your trailer every month to maintane the exterior.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How much maintenance?

Greetings dkrukosky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrukosky View Post
just out of curiosity once you strip and polish an airstream how much maintenance is involved in keeping it shiny? I would think it is an eternal task!
I didn't like the idea of continuing maintenance of a non-Plasticoated Airstream, so I chose to go with a fresh polish followed by Plasticoat. After 10 years, I am still happy with my decision. The shop that did the work, P and S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio performed what is called an "original sheen" polish job followed by the Plasticoat which resulted in the finish that I remember from when my '64 Overlander was brand new and in the hands of its first owners. I will likely have to have the front and rear domes recoated in the not too distant future as there is evidence that the Plasticoat is beginning to fail in those two areas . . . the coach has been Walbernized on a regular basis since it was refinished.

Kevin

P.S.: My '64 Overlander was delivered from the factory with Plasticoat, and I believe that it was a $26 option on my coach . . . my understanding is that Plasticoat became standard the next year.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote