Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lake Mills , WI
hail damage

Our first trip with our new 2021 flying cloud and we were hit with a hail storm.Brand new TV and trailer both hit with hail.
What is best? replace the outer pannels? Somehow get inside so the body shop guys can push the dents out, or go with the adheasive plugs and pull the dents out. My body guy is worried this might pull the clearcoat off.
tlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Depending on the extent of damage either have the panels replaced at Jackson Center or have your insurance company total the trailer and get another. Pictures would help.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
There are many discussions on this very topic. Oddly enough, if they are small, the hot/cold cycles will not completely, but partially smooth the small ones out over time.

Larger, you can try to pull them out, but unlike steel that can be pulled out, and bondo'd smooth and repainted, alum once it deforms there are really only 4 options:

1) Go to JC and have the panel replaced
2) Go to JC and have a panel overlaid onto the damaged panel
3) Do your best and live with it
4) Insurance company totals it as the cost to repair exceeds it's slightly depreciated value, one small panel overlay can cost upward of $5k to $7k and more for larger panels or of course multiple panel replacements add up extremely quickly.

Airstream trailers with the iconic shells are not like cars. Sure you might have some limited success at pulling some out with suction, but even if you could get to it from the inside, that would require you to pull the interior skins off, pull the insulation out just, remove roof lockers or attached items to get to it and on new trailers with the quietstream A/C there is an additional layer up top (and I think some returns somewhere on the walls too) I don't know even how that would come into play here since I have not been to the factory to see construction of these newer designs. This makes approaching it from the outside really your best and only reasonable option unless the insurance company totals it, but AZ is right, some pics would really help us tell you how bad. JC will want pics too in order to give even a basic repair quote so your insurance can decide what to do.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Sorry to hear!!! For everyone who is not aware. When it comes to insurance, I along with most bundle the Airstream into my auto policy. The problem with this is Travel Trailers are a speciality item. Most insurance companies, insure them similar to a cargo trailer. One of my biggest fears is hail. Removing the inner panels will require removing all of the interior cabinets. ...Not good. Personally, I would have skinned the interior allowing the option of removing panels...not one giant sheet. There must be a reason they didn’t do this. Anyway, yesterday I insured my Airstream with Good Sam. For the first 5 years if totaled, Good Sam replaces the AS with a brand new unit. After 5 years, they will you the purchase price you paid for the trailer when new. They also cover much more... Good Sam was only $60 more per year than what I was paying at AAA.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I was surprised that with our insurance (Allstate) they do not care if the AS is stored under cover or how many months of the year you are on the road or at a campground, you are covered regardless.

I have heard that there are apparently some cheapo insurance policies that actually state panel penetration is required for hail damage coverage!

We are not going to let fear of hail damage stop us from camping, but I wonder if we would just hold on to the insurance payment and camp with a dented AS going forward. Then we would truly not worry! If we did get it repaired there is absolutely only one place we would go, obviously Jackson Center.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
My wife & I agreed if it got pelted with hail...we wouldn’t repair it unless necessary.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Lake Mills , WI
Thanks for the help. It looks like it's heading back to the factory. It looks like 5 panels will need to be replaced. All five panels that wrap around from the top and sides around to the back will need to be replaced. I want to know what all is involved and problems this might cause before we give the go ahead. I looked at the roof. I did not see anything but would certainly not fix anything up there.
The TV has at least 5 on the hood and 2 on the roof. All accessible from the inside so that might not exceed my $250 deductible.
tlars is offline   Reply With Quote