Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Hello! Glad to hear from another Bambi II owner. Are you sure yours had the "II"? Ours never did. It is Bambi II #2 by Ohio VIN, and never had the Roman numeral in the script.

Does your body have an extra/unfilled hole for the Roman numeral? Many of us Bambi II owners have wondered when the numeral was added on...

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...ed-107267.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely1 View Post
Hey Ben
Hope you and family are well. My Bambi II is missing the "II" so I would be interested in a new one. Thanks again for all the posts on your Bambi restoration.
Keep us posted on this and have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
This looks like it would do the job admirably...silver on silver:

https://www.jpplus.com/rowmark-ada-a...raving-plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
You can get a quarter sheet, maybe 12x24", but I don't know minimums. It's been a while since I last bought that material. Try Johnson Plastics?
Yes, I really like it. Emblems I made several years ago still look good on cars here in the Hawaii sun.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Yes, we love our Corvair van and truck and how useful and unique they are.

The '62 Greenbrier was our first camper and took us on some amazing trips!

Nader was wrong and if you remember, the Corvair was not mentioned much or at all after chapter 1. By then, every reader had fallen fast asleep...because chapter one and the Corvair are the only things anyone seems to remember about the entire book.

The Greenbrier has 642,000 miles on it. I am betting neither my Town & Country nor my Pathfinder will get anywhere close to that. Like vintage Airstreams, Corvairs were built to last, not throw away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Ben -
As for your being a " 'Vair-head" - Cool! We had Corvairs in our family - including my Great-Aunt's 1960 Monza Coupe, our cousin's Pick-up with which he helped us moving homes back in Pittsburgh, & our family passenger Van - all PA cars (at least initially).

In May 1963 we got a brand new 1963 Greenbriar 8-9 passenger Van that we took our family of 8 out to San Diego that June after school was out, when my Dad changed jobs to out there earlier that year - & trip was well after 1,000 mile or whatever it was break-in period, as my Dad was religious about his cars. I'm pretty sure it was the 95 hp motor version, as best as a then 10 year old can recall (but maybe the 85).

at our local Orange Plaza Car Show, but determined chatting with the current owners that it wasn't our family Greenbriar. A Chevy Greenbriar purchased in Pittsburgh PA then immediately driven to San Diego & SoCal for the rest of it's life would be a pretty easy to confirm find - if it's still on the road somewhere.

Corvairs are GREAT cars & highly underrated - and IMHO the best body style of all Chevy's cars of the late `60's with the later 1965-69 coupes & convertibles! Yenkos were interesting & a local PGH fave, but I didn't care for the C-pillar fins tacked onto the already clean coupes, trying to emulate the Mauliby/Chevelle Coupes.

Nader was dead wrong about the Corvairs - & the VW Bug had the same swing axles with a higher center of gravity - so realistically more prone to the alleged rollover risks, as were many other bigger & heavier USA cars of the day - but he needed some scapegoat to become famous!

Good Luck on your Corvairs & AS projects!

Cheers!
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200530_165517180.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	384623   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-13 (3).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	384624  

Old 12-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Yes, we love our Corvair van and truck and how useful and unique they are.

The '62 Greenbrier was our first camper and took us on some amazing trips!

Nader was wrong and if you remember, the Corvair was not mentioned much or at all after chapter 1. By then, every reader had fallen fast asleep...because chapter one and the Corvair are the only things anyone seems to remember about the entire book.

The Greenbrier has 642,000 miles on it. I am betting neither my Town & Country nor my Pathfinder will get anywhere close to that. Like vintage Airstreams, Corvairs were built to last, not throw away.
Cool Ben!

Our Greenbriar was the passenger van with 3 rows of bench seats - not the camper conversion you have, which are really nice. There is a couple out here in CA with the camper conversion who come to the vintage trailer rallies, & we usually visit with each other.

Our Greenbriar was the same blue/white color scheme as your gorgeous truck. We camped out of it with a big old 3 room Sears tent, or with all 6 young kids & parents sleeping on the bench seats, floors, rear engine area & on an old army stretcher laid across the 3 benches at night, & folded against the sidewall during travel. We were all small then, & I was the oldest at 10 on the first XC trip to San Diego in summer 1963.

We only had 2 kids, but continued the family XC trip tradition to visit family back east with our 1988 VW Westfalia that we bought new & still have & use. In 2018 we found a nice mostly original 1970 Eriba Puck Trailer to pull behind the Westy for Vintage Trailer Rallies (the Westy is considered too new at most) - as an alternative to our bigger 1960 Avion T20.

The Puck has about the same camp set-up as the Westy - so it's "Repetitively Redundant"!

> No the Westy can't tow the Avion - both Avion T20 & Westy are at a close-by Rally in Newport Beach (10 miles) when wife follows in Westy, & I tow the Avion with an Enterprise Truck Rental 3/4 ton truck.

Happy Camping!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags