Old 05-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Filiform Corrosion Repair?

I have a 2004 19' Airstream International CCD. We have had it in covered storage for the past 2 years, after my son was born. Check on it often, but have not given it a good scrub and wash.

We just took it out of storage, and to my dismay, we have a ton of corrosion on the trailer (photos attached). Also lots of yellowing on the interior plastics (we live in Houston: i.e. heat & humidity).

I tried Corrosion-X on one spot, and it striped the lacy crystals, but let it darker where the surface was affected (not a good look). I don't want it to spread, but I don't know what else I can treat it with.

Any suggestions on what to use / do -- with before & after photos? I am a toddler mom, so I have limited time to research the depths of the internet for fixes. Airstream Factory told me they could replace my panels for $6K a pop, which was laughable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	368960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	368961  

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	368962  

Old 05-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

Sorry to hear of your damage...of little comfort now for you but you were not alone, many of us have suffered the same problems.

The topic is covered pretty thoroughly in these threads.

The AS factory had an 'after the fact' solution of sealing the corrosion on the horizontal seam and covering it with a belt molding.

Bob
🇺🇸

We didn't have the corrosion problem on the side of our Airstream. But here is a picture of the molding I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66BAE248-BDAC-4834-A18E-987C39C23635_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	368965  

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
You're on the right track with Corrosion X. I'm neck deep in the forums on this subject right now and here's what I've learned:

The simplest path forward for small areas:

1. Gently remove the bubbled clear coat with a plastic card (think credit card like) or use another small scraping tool.
2. Dab or spray with Corrosion X. Wipe excess dry.
3. Seal the area with clearcoat (you can use a pen from an auto store or plain clear nail polish).

It won't look great, but it will stop the progress. It goes without saying that you should wash and wax the trailer after the fact. Continue treating small spots as they appear.

For larger areas you can replace step 1 with some gentle wet sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit to clear the corrosion from the skin. Some folks have had luck getting a decent paint match before clear coating (either way it's not going to be pretty).

For grab handles, bumper, and cast pieces, you can sand those free of the corrosion, polish and clearcoat (ideally a spray). This is far more involved, but the outcomes are better in terms of appearances.

Note: There are probably way more areas than you realize. Really give the entire trailer a close look especially at the seams, rivets, and clearance/marker lights. It's also not a bad idea to use that clearcoat pen on all the exposed seams.

Sorry you're going through this, too. It can be stopped, just not fixed.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Thank you both for your replies.

Bob, your horizontal molding looks nice. That could be an option.

As Colt mentioned (a guess)?, we have it everywhere. I posted pictures of the seams, but the bumper, most of the metal joints etc are all affected. Very discouraging.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. And my sonís name is Colt 🤘🏼 Rock on.
AirstrmQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmQueen View Post
your horizontal molding looks nice. That could be an option.
There is a thread on here showing the installation of the belt line trim to cover the corrosion common to that area.

I know CorrosionX is the accepted go to remedy for Airstream Corrosion but I personally prefer Fluid Film. You can get it in a small can with a brush applicator rather than aerosol making application much easier.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
On the brighter side....🌞

In most cases once you have the areas that you see now treated and sealed new areas only show up where the Alcoa applied coating has been compromised.(scratches, stone chips etc.)

A plastic scraper works well on the larger areas.
Final cleaning with a compound.. At least two stage, medium & fine. POI...I use 3M.

Do you have a dog? Go to the pet store and ask for one of these, very precise way of removing without unnecessary damage.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote