Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
Exterior AS Clearcoat Package: Yes or No?

Hello all,

This might be the wrong forum for our question, I'm new to this as well...

We just put in for our first AS Trailer today: a 2022 Globetrotter 30 RBT!

It was one already on order, but we were able to claim it and make some modifications to match out wants. During the sale process today our rep handed us a pamphlet for "NanoCure RV Appearance Protection", an exterior package to maintain the rims, body panels, awnings, etc., and suggested we go ahead and request it in order to keep our new rig protected. We are newbies to owning an AS, but I knew they already came with a clearcoat on the Aluminum, so I ask you more experienced owners:

Is this package is a necessity or just another way for the dealership to get more money out of us?

Some information about us:

We have always kept our cars in near mint condition and washed+waxed them ourselves with no issue.

We've never been ones to add aftermarket clearcoats or polishes to our vehicles, so were wondering if regular washing and cleaning would be sufficient to keep our new treasure in great condition.

Feel free to voice your opinions or share your own upkeep procedures, we are eager to learn more about owning and operating our new rig as we prepare for ownership!

Our Globetrotter is set to roll of the factory in late November and arrive in December down here in San Diego.
NMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

I've had both our Vehicles professionally done with 9H Ceramic.
LOVE it.
I do the AS myself with quality products.

Save the money for the stuff that you will use that you don't know about yet.

If you have washed & waxed your car you are pre-qualified to maintain the exterior of your AS.
It not so much what you choose to use it's that you choose to do it on a regular basis.

Do it Happily

Bob
🇺🇸
Look'n good at 18....👍

For what it's worth I get all my 'stuff' from Griot's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	619CCC2B-887D-4B15-8685-BE29F2F6E089_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	404304  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
Thanks for the input! Saving money is towards the top of our priority list!
Old 09-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Personally, I would not buy any add-ones from the dealer.

All of the aluminum is coated by Alcoa before it is formed, riveted and assembled. So, 99% of the surface area is already well protected. I believe a more effective use of your time and money would be to lay in a nice supply of Corrosion-X and use it to treat all of the cut-outs (window openings, power plugs…). This will protect you from filiform corrosion.

Then, twice a year, wash and wax your Airstream with the products of your choice. I use basic car wash and then Walbernize. This will make your new baby nice and shiny and will require you to run your hands and eyes over your whole rig which may lead you to discover some tiny problem before it is a major problem.

But, that’s just me.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Good for the dealer - not so much for the buyer!
Old 09-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Our dealer pushed same and extended warranty. We declined both. Polishing up the AS can be another fun part of the ownership experience. You can always have it ceramic coated later, if it becomes a want or need.
StuartsDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
Thank you for the replies! I'll definitely pass on the clearcoat and look into some of the products mentioned here to wash/detail myself.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am speaking from the point of view of vintage Airstreams, Clear coat does wear out and peel. When this happens I strip the clear coat. I then have the choice of polishing, letting a natural patina build up or my last choice would be to re-clear coat.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
I would suggest a good quality wax right when you get it. Don’t forget the wheels and other miscellaneous areas besides the skin.
I got a new set of 16 inch Sendure wheels and did not wax quick enough and was disappointed how quickly they corroded. Enjoy your new trailer, maintaining it can be fun.
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, some sort of (expensive) extended warranty is usually next on the list for these guys. They all seem to have exclusions and limitations that make them pretty useless.

Your trailer comes with a warranty for 3 years. It also comes with roadside service. You will make use of the warranty. You may never use the roadside stuff. When the service part runs out, most folks do get some sort of coverage. AAA is one common source .... Again, it's not coming from the dealer .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Personally, I would not buy any add-ones from the dealer.

All of the aluminum is coated by Alcoa before it is formed, riveted and assembled. So, 99% of the surface area is already well protected. I believe a more effective use of your time and money would be to lay in a nice supply of Corrosion-X and use it to treat all of the cut-outs (window openings, power plugs…). This will protect you from filiform corrosion.
Where do you apply Corrosion-X? The edges of cut outs? I can see how to access edges of plug cut outs. How do you get to edges of windows, sunroof, fantastic fan, etc.?
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
FWIW we got the Nanocure on our 2021 Caravel and have been really happy with it. We towed over 7000 miles this summer and our beautiful baby still looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

Yes there are cheaper ways to have the work done or you can Walbernize regularly yourself but ... I'd rather get it done and have one less thing to worry about. I say if you can afford it do it, but to each their own.
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Where do you apply Corrosion-X? The edges of cut outs? I can see how to access edges of plug cut outs. How do you get to edges of windows, sunroof, fantastic fan, etc.?

I use a plastic syringe and run it around all the openings and wipe off any extra. I liberally apply it to any ferrous metal as I camp near the ocean a lot.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheever View Post
FWIW we got the Nanocure on our 2021 Caravel and have been really happy with it. We towed over 7000 miles this summer and our beautiful baby still looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

Yes there are cheaper ways to have the work done or you can Walbernize regularly yourself but ... I'd rather get it done and have one less thing to worry about. I say if you can afford it do it, but to each their own.
Nanocure?

Unclear...did you pay someone to do a DIY application, was it 9h SiO2 or above? Can't find a chemical description.
Always looking for a less expensive 9h or above.
We have two vehicles done with Ceramic Pro 9h and it would be nice to have a DIY option.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
Old 09-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I have to be honest about the special coatings that are offered. I was in the high end car business for 40 years. These “miracle” coatings came out in the 70’s and have morphed from one name to the next but basically all of them are waxes that contain different chemicals. The most common ones now are “Ceramic” and “Nano”. Do they work? Yes. Do they last forever? No. Can you buy the same chemicals and apply them yourself? Yes. I retired a year ago but prior to that we were paying a detailer $150 to apply a “Ceramic” coating that we sold for $1499. Go to your local auto parts store and get some Mother’s or Turtle Wax wash and wax containing those products. Follow the directions and you will not only save yourself a ton of money but be very happy with the results.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question :
We have had our 1994 Airstream Stripped of all clear coat and had her completely polished to a stunning shine.
Now what do you recommend to put on her to keep that stunning look or just have her reploished every other year.
As the hard part is done all she needs now it touched up every year or so.
Woundering. Oh she is a 1994 Excella!
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #17
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Grosman,

I have a antique motorcycle that I polished the aluminum on 25 years ago. It sits in the garage with a cover on it and still dulls over time. I have yet to find a product that you wipe on and off that keeps me from having to periodically repolish.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Grosman,

I have a antique motorcycle that I polished the aluminum on 25 years ago. It sits in the garage with a cover on it and still dulls over time. I have yet to find a product that you wipe on and off that keeps me from having to periodically repolish.
Well, this would work well on your bike, not at all on an AS.
Way too much elbow grease required.

Once done though the yearly touch up isn't all that time consuming....one WHEEL, beer, repeat as needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DEC0A25-30A6-4F7A-B5FE-DA1C02F0F08A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	405120   Click image for larger version

Name:	73503363-5043-46D9-AA93-F57C4636B0A8_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	405121  

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...uper-seal-wax/

Wash and wax with this stuff. Dirt and water causes most aluminum corrosion.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...uper-seal-wax/

Wash and wax with this stuff. Dirt and water causes most aluminum corrosion.
Bought some when we bought our Classic, tried it twice, not worth the effort, rinsed off after 6 washes, thru it out.
Went with a sealer/polish that I've been using ever since.
Everyone raving recently, noting the formula has changed, it hasn't, luckily it was an Amazon purchase and I didn't waste any $$$$.

You can get better protection for less $$$.
Just choose any of the quality popular brands and you'll do much better.

I use all Griot's products.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC