Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Do I have clearcoat?

I've been reading up in preparation for attempting to polish my Airstream a bit. It's a '73 and while the port side is in decent shape, the starboard is looking pretty rough with white and sometimes dark splotches all over it. A previous owner also sprayed some type of spray paint/sealer on top which is another issue altogether.

I've read that if your aluminum looks "sunburnt" with lighter or darker splotches it still has clearcoat, and that this must be removed if I want to polish it.

That said and taking a look at the pictures, do you think I have clearcoat still on it? Will removing it one section at a time while we polish small sections present any problems?

Any other advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3945148307.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	183175   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1882533519.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	183176  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3512227640.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	183177   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-539292027.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	183178  

Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Take some white toothpaste and rub it gently with your finger onto the area in question. if it starts to darken, it is removing the oxidation and that spot does not have clearcoat. If nothing happens, you have clearcoat. I would recommend removing all the clearcoat at once instead of in sections. I hear it is a messy job that you would probably only want to do once.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Do I have clearcoat?

Greetings clicknathan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
I've been reading up in preparation for attempting to polish my Airstream a bit. It's a '73 and while the port side is in decent shape, the starboard is looking pretty rough with white and sometimes dark splotches all over it. A previous owner also sprayed some type of spray paint/sealer on top which is another issue altogether.

I've read that if your aluminum looks "sunburnt" with lighter or darker splotches it still has clearcoat, and that this must be removed if I want to polish it.

That said and taking a look at the pictures, do you think I have clearcoat still on it? Will removing it one section at a time while we polish small sections present any problems?

Any other advice?
Your description and photos indicate that you have at least some remaining PlastiCoat on your Airstream. PlastiCoat became standard across the board for Airstreams in the mid-1960s and continues in a more modern factory applied coating today. You can test for PlastiCoat with toothpaste . . . with a clean white rag, apply some toothpast and rub . . . if the rag turns black you do not have PlastiCoat in that area . . . if it does not turn black then you have PlastiCoat in that area.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote